Posted by Courtney on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 5:50pm.
find the modulus and the argument of the following complex numbers:
15-4i and a-ai where a is greater than 0
- calculus - Damon, Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 6:10pm
if z = a + b i
r^2 = sqrt( a^2 + b^2)
and a = r cos T
and b = r sin T
if a = 15
and b = -4
then r^2 = 15^2 + (-4)^2 = 225+16
r = 15.524
cos T = 15/15.524
so T = 14.9 or -14.9
sin T = -4/15.52
so T = -14.9 or (180-14.9)=165.1
T = -14.9 which is +345.1 in the fourth quadrant satisfies both, so that is it. (Besides we could see that 15-4i was in quadrant 4)
r = sqrt (2 a^2) = a sqrt 2
fourth quadrant again
sin T = -1/sqrt (2) = = -.707
T = -45 degrees which is + 315 degrees
- calculus - Damon, Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 6:34pm
I did them as two different questions
modulus = r = 15.524
argument = T (for theta) = -14.9 degrees (or +345.1 degrees)
modulus = a sqrt 2
theta = argument = -45 (or 315) degrees
- calculus - Courtney, Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 6:37pm
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- complex numbers - how do you work out the the form a+ib when you are given the ...
- Pure Mathematics - Find the modulus and principal argument of the complex ...
- maths - How do you convert degrees to radians? what's the modulus and the ...
- TRIGONOMETRY - Can someone please show me step by step how to calculate the ...
- math-complex numbers - Sketch the sets of complex numbers in the complex plane ...
- Calculus--complex numbers - the complex number Z satisfies Z/(Z+4)= 3+2i Find Z...
- ALGEBRA!! - calculate P(i) for the following polynomial p(x)=x3+2x2-5x+8 Find | ...
- Pre-calculus - Let z and w be complex numbers such that |2z-2|=25, |z+2w|=5, ...
- Pre-cal - The equation of the line joining the complex numbers -5 + 4i and 7 + ...
- Precalculus - Let z and w be complex numbers such that |2z - w| = 25, |z + 2w...