Posted by Mathilde on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 3:13pm.
This is about Reasoning Strategy, I really need help on this, I have a test tomorrow on it! Please help... Ok, here's what it says:
3a. What is the y-intercept of the trend line? (What do they mean???)
3b. Locate one other point on the trend line, then find the slope of the trend line (I don't know what they mean?)
- Pre-Algebra - drwls, Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 4:04pm
3a. The y intercept is the value of y where x equals zero (where the trend line intercepts the y axis).
3b. Pick any other point on the trend line (besides the y intercept) and compute the slope as the change in y divided by the change of x.
- Pre-Algebra - Mathilde, Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 4:22pm
ok, for 3b, I would need to divide any point in the x axis by a point on the y axis? Or is that wrong?
- Pre-Algebra - Guido, Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 4:39pm
3a. The y-intercept is found when you set x to = 0. The y-intercept is the point where the graph of the line crosses the y-axis.
In the equation y = 3x + 5, what is the y-intercept?
It is the point (0,5). Do you see number 5? That number represents the y-intercept when x = 0.
Don't trust me?
Here it is:
Let x = 0.
y = 3(0) + 5
y = 0 + 5
y = 5
So, y became 5 when we set x to = 0.
3b. Pick any two points on the line and find the slope of the line.
The slope is a numerical value that describes just how slanted a given line is.
Here is is an example of finding the slope of a line.
Given the points (3, 4) and (8, 9), find the slope.
The symbol for slope is the letter m.
Let m = slope.
We now subtract b from d and a from c.
(a,b) = (3,4)
(c,d) = (8,9)
m = (9 - 4)/(8 - 3)
m = 5/5
m = 1
The slope is 1.
Did you follow?
- Pre-Algebra - jason alonso, Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 10:48pm
- Pre-Algebra - Anonymous, Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 7:01pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Pre Algebra - This is about Reasoning Strategy... It says this: 3a. What is the ...
- Science 7R - Tomorrow I have a science test on circulatory system and is there ...
- Math(Please help) - Write an equation of the line satisfying the given condition...
- algebra - 4. Which of the following is true about a trend line for data? (1 ...
- MATH HELP - If the pattern rule is x2 +6, imagine what the trend line for this ...
- Math - Write an equation of the line satisfying the given condition. a) x ...
- algebra - I really need that to my examples in my report tomorrow those i posted...
- Math Ms. Sue please - 4. Which of the following is true about a trend line for ...
- Math - Which of the following is true about a trend line for data? A. The ...
- Math/Algebra - I really need help! I have a paper due tomorrow and I can't find ...