Posted by andytrfmn on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 1:27pm.
how do i set up and whats the prosedure to solve 10 to the 7th power times 10 to the third power divided by 10 to the 4th power times ten to the negitive 9the power? please help you are doing mankind a favor.if i dont pass this i will be labeld the dumest of the retarted.
- algerbra - Damon, Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 1:35pm
10^7 * 10^3
to multiply, add exponents if the base is the same.
Of course that means to divide, subtract exponents.
Since the base for all of these is ten, all we have to do is add and subtract.
7 + 3 - 4 - -9 of course - - is +
7 + 3 - 4 + 9 = 15
so the answer is :::
- algerbra - Guido, Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 4:59pm
We have this:
10^7 * 10^3
10^4 * 10^-9
We can multiply the numerators and denominators as step one, if you'd like.
10^7 * 10^3 = 10^10 = our numerator.
10^4 * 10^-9 = 10^-5 = our denominator.
We now have this fraction:
Since we have the SAME BASE of 10 in the numerator and denominator, we simply SUBTRACT THE EXPONENTS.
Our exponents are:
10 - (-5) = 10 + 5 = 15
Final answer: 10^15, which is read:
"ten to the fifthteenth power."
The word power also means exponent, which also means degree.
Is that clear?
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - simplify and write with only positive exponents 1. x to yhe negitive ...
- algebra2 plzz help - how do you solve these problems (5x)to the power of a+4(5x)...
- algebra - 7s over 5t to the negative 3rd power 2 to the negative 3rd power times...
- Science - In order to sail through the frozen Artic Ocean, the most powerful ...
- Algebra - simplify 9to 6th power times 3 to the 7th power all over 9 to the 8th ...
- Physics - Compared to yesterday you did 3 times the work in one third the time. ...
- Math - Simplify: 3x (to the -2 power) 2x(3rd power)times x(to the -2 power) ...
- geometry - 10x(to the 5th power)y(to the 4th power) over 15x(to the third power)...
- Math/Standard and scientific notation - Express each measure in standard form. (...
- Algebra 2 - Simplify a(-2)power divided by b(6)power times c(-8)power so there ...