Posted by Mike on .
An upscale department offers its customers free gift wrapping on any day that they spend at least $100. The store offers 5 box sizes (XS, S, M, L, XL), 6 wrapping themes (birthday, wedding, baby girl, baby boy, anniversary, and all-occasion), and 3 styles of bow (classic, modern, and jazy).
1. How many ways can packages be gift-wrapped at the store?
2. What is the probability that any wrapped package will be in a large box?
3. What is the probability that any wrapped package will not have a jazzy bow?
4. What is the probability that a customer will request wrapping for a baby-boy gift?
1. No of ways = 5*6*3 = 90
2. No of ways for large box = 1*6*3 = 18
so Prob(large box) = 18/90 = 1/5
(well duh, since there are 5 different sizes of boxes.....)
3. Prob(jazz bow) = 1/3
so prob(NOT a jazzy bow) = 1-1/3 = 2/3
4. prob of baby-boy = 1/6