Posted by Marysvoice on Friday, February 15, 2008 at 5:07pm.
Building a rectangular room with fixed perimeter of 280ft
what dimentions would yield the maximum area?
What dimentions would yeild the minimum area?
- Quadratic equations - Reiny, Friday, February 15, 2008 at 5:09pm
A rectangle of largest area is a square.
So divide your perimeter by 4.
To build a room of minimum area is a rather silly question.
- Quadratic equations - Damon, Friday, February 15, 2008 at 6:07pm
x = length
y = width
A = x y
A = x(140-x)
A = 140 x - x^2
look at shape of parabola by completing the square
x^2 -140 x = -A
x^2 - 140 x + 4900 = -A + 4900
(x-70)^2 = -A + 4900
the vertex will be at x = 70 and A = 4900 and the -A means that the parabola opens down (sheds water) so that vertex is the maximum where x = y =70 as Reiny told you.
since a negative x or y does not make much sense, the area may not get any smaller than zero when x --> 0 or y -->0 0
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - A carpenter is building a rectangular room with a fixed perimeter of ...
- college Algebra - This is my problem: A carpenter is building a rectangular room...
- Algebra 2 - A rancher is fencing off a rectangular area with a fixed perimeter ...
- MATH - FIND THE PERIMETER AND AREA OF A ROOM WITH THESE DIMENTIONS 11FT 13FT ...
- math 12 - A)a shed, in the shape of a square based prism, is to have volume ...
- math - if you have to build a pool of 72 yards in your yard,and the construction...
- College Algebra - Translate the problem into a pair of linear equations in two ...
- calculus - A farmer has 180 feet of fence and wants a pen to adjoin to the whole...
- math - If the numerical values of the perimeter and the area of a square are ...
- Math geometry - An architect is designing an A-frame cottage for a resort. A ...