Posted by Jon on Friday, February 15, 2008 at 12:52pm.
2)Find the solution of sin2 theta = cos theta if 0 -< theta < 180
A)30 degrees and 90 degrees
B)30 degrees and 150 degrees
C)30 degrees, 90 degrees, 150 degrees
D)0 degrees, 90 degrees, and 150 degrees
sin2 theta = cos theta
sin2 theta - 1 = 0
(sin theta + 1)(sin theta - 1)= 0
sin theta = -1 or sin theta = 1 which is B
I used the zero property
- Trig(continued) - Reiny, Friday, February 15, 2008 at 1:07pm
For your earlier post for this same question at 3:17 am, I said
"for #2 I too, like Bob, was puzzled
First of all is it
sin 2θ = cos θ or sin2 θ = cos θ ?
for the first one
2sinθcosθ - cosθ = 0
cosθ(1sinθ - 1) = 0
cosθ=0 or sinθ=1/2
so θ = 90º or θ = 30º or 150º for your domain, which is choice C "
how did you get your second line???
- Trig(continued) - drwls, Friday, February 15, 2008 at 1:14pm
Please use ^ in front of exponents. Otherwise, we cannot tell sin (2theta) from (sin theta)^2.
Your first step is wrong, since cos theta is not necessarly equal to 1. Also, if sin theta were 1 or -1, why would the answer be B?
I will assume you meant to write sin (2theta) and will let x be theta, to simplify typing.
2 sin x cos x = cos x
2 sin x = 1
sin x = 1/2
x = 30 or 150 degrees.
You seem to have treated sin2theta as sin^2 theta, in your next-to-last step, but if you do that, the answer is completely different
- Trig(continued)Reiny - Jon, Friday, February 15, 2008 at 1:33pm
my question is sin 2è = cos è NOT sin2 è = cos è. I'm sorry, I didn't understand your question earlier.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra II - Multiple Choice (theta) means the symbol 0 with the dash in it. 1.)...
- Trig(3 all with work) - 1)Find the exact value of cos 105 by using a half-angle ...
- Pre Cal - 2cos 4theta + 1 = 0 i know how to find the degrees (the last step of ...
- Pre Cal - sin theta - 2sin^2 theta = 0 I'm using the up carrot sign to signal "...
- trig 30 - If cos^2 theta -6 sin 2 theta =0, one value of theta is a)0 degrees b...
- trig - I have to retype this. For which angles theta, with 0 degrees less than/...
- Math - 1. Find the value of Sin^-1(-1/2) a. -30 degrees b. 30 degrees c. 150 ...
- trig - sin2 theta = cos theta, 90 degrees less than or equal to thetha greater ...
- Physics - How would one determine the percent uncertainty in theta and in sin of...
- Pre-Calculus - I need help-I do not understand. The question is this: Write 2x+y...