Posted by Jonathan on Sunday, February 10, 2008 at 5:24pm.
I'm currently working on a lab in which I have to make the solution boil at 245 degrees F. The solution will be a mix of ethylene glycol and I have to caluculate the volumes of water and solute needed to make the solution.
here's my work so far.
X= mL C2H4(OH)2
water boils @ 100 degrees C
my bp is 118.33 degrees C
kb= .515 degrees C kg/mol
d of C2H4(OH)2 = 1.1088 g/mL
delta Tb = (kb*g*i)/GMW*kg
18.33 degrees c = (.515)*(1.1088)*(1)/(62.08g/mol)*(175-X(.9970)/1000)
18.33 = .571032X/(62.08)(175-X)(.9970)/1000
18.33 = 571.032 X/(62.08)(174.475-.9970X)
18.33 = 571.032X/ (1031.408-61.89376X)
now i'm stuck. i don't understand how to get x by itself from here. is what i've done so far correct?
AP CHEM - DrBob222, Sunday, February 10, 2008 at 9:31pm
I got cross eyed looking at all the numbers. Let me break it down. Also, you don't say how much you want to make. I have assumed 100 g water as the solvent.
Delta T = Kb*m (i is 1).
118.33-100 = 0.515*m
solve for molality.
molality = mols solute/kg solvent = mols solute /0.1
solve for moles solute.
mols solute = grams solute/molar mass solute
If you want to use volume for the ethylene glycol instead of weighing it, then volume = mass desired/density
I hope this helps.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chem=continued - I'm currently working on a lab in which I have to make the ...
- CHM 152 - An automobile antifreeze contains equal volumes of ethylene glycol (d=...
- CHEM - mole fractions - the vapour pressure of pure water at 110 degrees is 142....
- chem - An ethylene glycol solution contains 23.9 g of ethylene glycol (C2H6O2) ...
- chemistry - Okay so I know how I would normally determine molar mass of a ...
- Math - A chemist has two ethylene glycol and water solutions: one that contains...
- physics - an antifreeze solution is made by mixing ethylene glycol (density= ...
- chem - An ethylene glycol solution contains 21.5 of ethylene glycol in 82.9 of ...
- Chem - a) An ethylene glycol solution contains 21.1 g of ethylene glycol in 86.0...
- Chemistry 2 - we make a solution of water and ethylene glycol c2h4(oh)2 which ...