Posted by Jaylin on Tuesday, February 5, 2008 at 10:14pm.
How do i solve these problems:
2. Lemon juice is 10^2 times as acidic as tomato juice. Tomato juice is 10^3 times as acidic as egg whites. How many times as acidic is lemon juice as egg whites? Write as a monomial.
3. The seismic waves of a magnitude 6 earthquake are 10^2 times as great as a magnitude 4 earthquake. The seismic waves of a magnitude 4 earthquake are 10 times as great as a magnitude 3 earthquake. How many times as great are the seismic waves of a magnitude 6 earthquake as those of a magnitude 3 earthquake? Write a monomial.
- math-algebra - Damon, Tuesday, February 5, 2008 at 10:41pm
These problems are all very similar and you have not tried them so I will do the third and you try the others
call magnitude 3 = q for quake
then mag 4 = 10^1 q
then mag 6 = 10^2 *10^1 q = 10^3 q = 1000 times the mag 3
M6 = 10^3 M3
in general by the way
Msub(n+1) = 10 Msub(n)
- math-algebra - Damon, Tuesday, February 5, 2008 at 10:45pm
In number 2
10^2*10^3 = 10^(2+3) = 10^5
to multiply, add exponents of same quantity
to raise to power, multiply exponents
x^2* x^3 = x^(2+3) = x^5
(x^2)^3 = x^(2*3) = x^6
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - lemon juice is 10 squared times as acidic as tomato juice . Tomato juice ...
- math - Shelly is making tomato soup. A 1-pint can of tomato juice costs $0.90. A...
- Math please Hurry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Choose the correct answer. ...
- Math - Shelia uses three times more water than lemon juice. She has 2 gallons of...
- English check - Combine the following sentenes to a complete sentence. 1. Jean ...
- Math - Suppose that the weight of tomato juice in mechanically filled cans ...
- Science - I am doing a science project about which juice cleans pennies best. I ...
- sixth grade math - Wendell is making punch for a party. The recipe he using says...
- ALGEBRA - A non toxic floor wax can be made from lemon juice and linseed oil.The...
- Chemistry - If the pH of grapefruit is 3 and the pH of beer is 5, how many times...