Posted by anonymous on Tuesday, February 5, 2008 at 9:46pm.
Iodine-131 is used to treat hypo-thyroidism since it is preferentially absorbed by the thyroid and typically involves a total radiation dosage of 10,000,000 millirem. Iodine-131 has a half-life of eight days.
1. Set up the appropriate integral to represent the radiation dosage delivered by the absorbed iodine in eight days.
2. Use the fact that eight days is the half-life of the isotope to find the initial radiation intensity in millrems/hour.
3. To the nearest 10 millirems, how much of the total radiation is delivered in six weeks?
I got this:
D = int dt Io e^-.0866 t from t=0 to t = 8
but what do I do after that to get B and C?
- calculus -- PLEASE HELP! - Damon, Tuesday, February 5, 2008 at 10:20pm
Now I did this yesterday :)
However I did it in days and for part 2 you need it in hours.
To do it in hours, get 8 days in hours
8*24 = 192 hours half life
I = Io e^-kt now t in hours
.5 = e^-192 t
ln .5 = -.693 = -192 k
k = .00361
I = Io e^-.00361 t
Now do your integral from t = 0 to t = 8 days
D = int I dt = int Io e^-.00361 t from t = 0 to t = 192
D = (Io/.00361)(1/2)= 138 Io
10^7 millirem = 10^4 rem = 138 Io
Io = 10,000/138 = 72.5 rem/hr = 72.5*10^3 millirem/hr
now in 6 weeks
6 weeks = 7*24*6 = 1008 hr
D = (Io /.00361)(1-e^-(.00631*1008))
D = (72.5*10^3/.00361)(1 essentially)
D = 20083*10^3 millirems = 20*10^6 millirems essentially or about twice the total dose we got in one half life logically enough
- calculus -- PLEASE HELP! - LOOLA, Monday, December 7, 2015 at 12:42pm
A patient is given a 5 mCi dose of 131I. Estimate the activity of her thyroid after 4 days. (Assume that all remaining 131I has been absorbed by her thyroid. Radioactive half-life of 131I is 8 days and it has a biological half-life of 138 days
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- CALC -- integrals! - Iodine-131 is used to treat hypo-thyroidism since it is ...
- chemistry - Iodine-131 is used to destroy thyroid tissue in the treatment of an ...
- Chemistry - 2. The half-life of a radioactive element is important when ...
- Math - Please show me how to solve: Doctors can use radioactive iodine to treat ...
- Exponential Growth and Decay - Doctors use iodine-131 to treat some forms of ...
- Math please help! - Nuclear medicine technologists use the Iodine isotope I-131...
- chem - Iodine-131 is often used in nuclear medicine to obtain images of the ...
- science - A Geiger counter is used to measure the activity of a sample of ...
- Chemistry - How long will it take for a 18.0-g sample of iodine-131 to decay to ...
- math-natural log - Nuclear medicine technologists use the Iodine isotope I-131, ...