Posted by melissa on Monday, February 4, 2008 at 1:28pm.
in apool game,a cue ball traveling at 0.75 m/s hits the stationary eight ball The eight ball moves with a velocity of 0.25 m/s at an angle of 37 deg reletive to the cue balls inital direction assuming that the collision is inelastic at what angle will the que be deflected and what will be its speed?
physics - drwls, Monday, February 4, 2008 at 1:50pm
Whether the collision is elastic or inelastic, the total momentum of the two balls in the direction perpendicular to the cue ball's initial direction must be zero, since there was no original momentum in that direction. Therefore
MV1 sin 37 - MV2 sin A = 0
M Vo = M cos 37 + M V2 cos A
since momentum in the forward direction is conserved.
The M's all cancel out
Vo = 0.75 m/s
V1 = 0.25 m/s is the eight-ball's final velocity.
"A" is the unknown angle of the cue ball, and V2 is its velocity. It will be a negative angle.
You have two equations in two unknowns to solve.
We will be glad to critique your work.
physics - Scisyhp, Saturday, March 5, 2011 at 6:53pm
The velocity is 0.0000 m/s
physics - Anonymous, Thursday, September 5, 2013 at 12:30pm
the answer is 0
physics - Anonymous, Friday, August 8, 2014 at 4:10pm
its a glancing collision, i believe that the question improperly says the collision is inelastic. It should be elastic. there fore the sum the y and x vectors. substitute. You should get velocity .57 m/s and 15.2 degrees
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - A cue ball traveling at 0.70 m/s hits a stationary 8-ball, which moves...
- Physics Part 1 - Rick is playing billiards and hits the cue ball. It makes ...
- Physics - While playing a game of billiards, your 0.50 kg cue ball, travelling ...
- physics - In a game of pool, the cue ball strikes another ball of the same mass ...
- Physics HELP HELP - A cue ball traveling at 4.0 m/s makes a glancing, elastic ...
- Physics - A cue ball traveling at 4.0 m/s makes a glancing, elastic collision ...
- physics - In a game of pool, the cue ball strikes another ball initially at rest...
- science - A cue ball traveling at 4.0 m/s makes a glancing, elastic collision ...
- Impulse and Momentum - In the game of billiards, all the balls have ...
- physics - In a game of pool the cue ball strikes another ball of the same mass ...