Posted by ryan on Saturday, February 2, 2008 at 11:31pm.
Here are 2 questions I worked out, but need them checked. Also, can't get answer to another question correct unless question 1 is correct. Would you check the first 2 and help me with the third?
1) What is the pH of a 0.05 M solution of TRIS acid (pka = 8.3)?
My answer: I used the formula pH= (pka- log (HA)} /2 then I plugged in:
2) What is the pH of a 0.045 M solution of TRIS base?
My answer: I used the formula PH=pka+14+log (base)/2
Then i plugged in:
3) How many total mL of 1 M NaOH can you add to the solution in problem 1 and still have a good buffer (that is, within 1 pH unit of the pka)?
- chemistry lab - drbob222, Sunday, February 3, 2008 at 12:32am
ryan--Did you post earlier under the name of Matt? I didn't answer that question because a TRIS buffer is made differently. But IF you have a solution of the acid form of TRIS, only (no base present), then 4.80 is the correct answer, I believe.
2. With that same understanding of the problem (no acid present in problem 2), then I found 10.48 for the pH instead of 10. Treat it as you would an ammonia solution (NH3).
RNH2 + H2O ==>RNH3^+ + OH^-
Kb = (RNH3^+)(OH^-)/(RNH2) = 2E-6
(OH^-) = sqrt(RNH2)*2E-6 = sqrt(0.045*2E-6)= 3E-4
pOH = 3.52 and pH = 10.48
Check my thinking. Check my arithmetic.
3. I believe the way to approach this problem is as follows:
RNH3^+ + OH^- ==> RNH2 + H2O
pH = pKa + log (base/acid)
So lets start with 100 mL of the acid. That means we have 0.1 L x 0.05 M = 0.005 mols acid initially. If we add y mols NaOH, we will produce y mols of RNH2 and we will have remaining 0.005-y mols RNH3^+.
9.3 = 8.3 + log(y/0.005-y)
I have y = 0.00455 mols NaOH which is 4.55 mL (which I would round to 4.5 mL) for the volume. That SOUNDS reasonable but check my work. Check my thinking.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - Here are 2 questions I worked out, but need them checked. Also, can'...
- Stat HW for. - 1. A student taking a midterm exam in Ancient History comes to ...
- math - Can anyone help with combining like terms? The question - 11 + 5t^2 + t...
- General - Please understand that I am not upset with anyone or whatever I just ...
- Statistical concept 68-95-99.7 - 1. A student taking a midterm exam in Ancient ...
- Computer (C) - I need help with c programming, i need to fill in the code and I ...
- *****Help Statistic - Imagine taking a 10-question true or false exam. You ...
- algebra - here is the question: I am confused about the steps I need to follow ...
- MATH-Stuck :-( - I really need help factoring these special Trinomials. This ...
- MATH-STUCK :-( - I really need help factoring these special Trinomials. This ...