Posted by sheila on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 9:33pm.
i need help in solving these 2 problems...please help..thank you...
Your home is built on a square lot. To add more space to your yard, you purchase an additional 4 feet along the side of the property. The area of the lot is now 9600 square feet. What are the dimentions of the new lot??
The Garys have a triangular pennant of area 420in.^2 flying from the flagpole in their yard. The height of the triangle is 10 in. than 5 times the base of the triangle. What are the dimensions of the pennant??
- math - Quidditch, Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 10:42pm
For the first problem:
x=length of side before the addition
x+4=the length of the longer side after the the additional 4 feet is purchased.
The new area of the property is:
x^2 + 4x =9600
x^2 + 4x - 9600=0
Ignore the negative solution for x since a negative number would not make much sense for a lot length.
x=96 and x+4=100
- math - Damon, Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 10:46pm
x * ( x + 4 ) = 9600
x^2 + 4 x - 9600 = 0
area = (1/2) b h
420 = (1/2) b (5b+10)
840 = 5 b^2 + 10 b
b^2 + 2 b - 168 = 0
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - Ms. Jacobs is planning to put a fence around a rectangular part of her ...
- Math - 16.Eliot spent 24 minutes solving 8 math problems.At that rate, how many ...
- math - A scale model of a rectangular building lot measures 7 feet by 5 feet. If...
- Algebra - Solving word problem using quadratic equation. The book says the ...
- Math - Suppose the average size (in square feet) of homes in a certain region is...
- math - Mr. Simon landscapes new houses for a building contractor. He charges by ...
- math - 4. Suppose your living room is a rectangle measuring 13 feet by 21 feet ...
- algrebra 2 - it is called completing the square here is the equation 4x^2-4x+1=9...
- Algebra - Square lot. Sam has a lot that he thought was a square, 200 feet by ...
- math - Wel-min makes a square quilt that has an area of 100 square feet.It has ...