Posted by Anna-Marie on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 6:18pm.
if you have two similar polygons and the scale factor is 3:5 and 12 times square root of 3 is one side, what is the cooresponding side
- geometry - Reiny, Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 6:30pm
let the other side be x
You don't say if 12SQRT(3) is a side in the smaller polygo, I will assume it is
then x/12SQRT(3) = 5/3
cross-multiply, and solve for x
If your given side is in the large polygon, then use
x/12SQRT(3) = 3/5
- geometry - Anna-Marie, Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 6:34pm
it the smaller side.. bt i don't know how to do the sq root
- geometry - Reiny, Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 6:43pm
x/12SQRT(3) = 5/3
3x = 60SQR(3)
x = 20SQR(3)
SQRT(3) = appr 1.7321 (use your calculator to find it)
x = 20(1.7321)
= 34.642 (appr)
In higher math classes you would leave the answer in the form of 20SQRT(3)
notice the ratio of 12SQRT(3)/20SQRT(3)
= 3/5 or 3:5
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - if you have two similar triangles and the scale factor is 3:5 and 12 ...
- math/algebra - I have a triangle one side = 3 side 2 = square root5 - square ...
- math - if two polygons are similar,how can you find the scale factor from one ...
- geometry - the perimeters of 2 similar polygons are 20 and 28. One side of the ...
- 8 th grade math - each side of square is 6 in. long . a scale factor of 2/3 is ...
- geometry - The area of the larger of two similar polygons is 729 square ...
- 8 th grade math - each side of square is 6 in. long aq scale factor of 2/3 is ...
- geometry - How do you find the perimeter of a second polygon given just the ...
- Geometry - The side length of square ABCD is 1 unit. Its diagonal, AC, is a side...
- Geometry - The scale factor of triangle DEF to triangle HJK is 5/2. If EF =15 ...