posted by CM on .
1. All of the following played a major role in causing the depression of 1837 except
a. pet and wildcat banks.
b. land speculators.
c. Van Buren's 1840 reelection.
d. the Specie Circular order.
2. Which of the following was not one of the three convictions underlying Jackson's actions as president?
a. increasing political democracy
b. preserving the Union
c. empowering the presidency
d. removing the spoils system
3. By 1819, the United States had acquired from Spain all of the following except
a. the land east of the Mississippi River.
b. the remainder of Spain's claims to Florida.
d. Spain's claims to Oregon.
4. The Industrial Revolution changed the system of manufacturing from
a. factories to home-based production.
b. power-driven machinery back to hand production.
c. home-based production to factory production.
d. profitable to unprofitable production.
5. Labor organizations during the 1820s and 1830s demanded all of the following except
a. longer prison sentences for debtors.
b. higher wages.
c. better working conditions.
d. shorter work days.
6. Which of the following justifications was not one of the proslavery arguments?
a. Slavery offered a secure and certain life for slaves.
b. Slavery involved only a very small number of slaves.
c. Slavery assured an adequate labor supply for planters.
d. Slavery influenced the lives of slaves in positive ways.
7. The women's rights movement during the 1820s and 1830s worked to secure a role for women in all of the following areas except
b. the professions.
c. public affairs.
8. What effect did the new means of transportation have on the eastern and western regions of the United States in the 1800s?
a. They had very little effect on either region of the nation during the 1800s.
b. They restricted the growth of western cities but stimulated eastern industries.
c. They stimulated the growth of western cities but restricted eastern industries.
d. They stimulated the growth of eastern industries and western cities.
9. In what fundamental way were the South and North economically different?
a. The North was primarily agricultural, and the South was industrial.
b. The two sections of the nation were equally industrial and agricultural.
c. The South was diversified agriculturally, but the North was not as diversified.
d. The South was primarily agricultural, and the North was industrial.
10. What was the basic difference between southern slaves and northern white workers?
a. Southern slaves made a bit more money than northern white workers.
b. Northern white workers were free people, but slaves were property.
c. Southern slaves were free to quit their jobs, unlike northern while workers.
d. Northern white workers enjoyed far better living conditions than southern slaves.
1 C 2 A 3 C 4 C
5 A 6 C 7 A 8 A
9 D 10 B
Please see the previous post.