Posted by todi on Sunday, January 27, 2008 at 6:28pm.
i am not very good at analyzing/interpreting poems and figuring out their meaning. what are some tips/strategies/methods that i could use to better my poetry understandings? and please help me to interpret this here poem:
My father stands in the warm evening
on the porch of my first house.
I am four years old and growing tired.
I see his head among the stars,
the glow of his cigarette, redder
than the summer moon riding
low over the old neighborhood. We
are alone, and he asks me if I am happy.
``Are you happy?'' I cannot answer.
I do not really understand the word,
and the voice, my father's voice, is not
his voice, but somehow thick and choked,
a voice I have not heard before, but
heard often since. He bends and passes
a thumb beneath each of my eyes.
The cigarette is gone, but I can smell
the tiredness than hangs on his breath.
He has found nothing, and he smiles
and holds my head with both his hands.
Then he lifts me to his shoulder,
and now I too am among the stars,
as tall as he. Are you happy? I say.
He nods in answer, Yes! oh yes! oh yes!
And in that new voice he says nothing,
holding my head tight against his head,
his eyes clsoed up against the starlight,
as though those tiny blinking eyes
of light might find a tall, gaunt child
holding his child against the promises
of autumn, until the boy slept
never to waken in that world again.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- poetry - can someone please give me good links where i can find poetry to read. ...
- english - some help needed...i have to write research paper..paper topic is to ...
- English - I'm doing questions on the poem called "You are reading this too fast...
- English/Poetry - I need to write a poem for my English class. The thing is, I ...
- English - 1. Here is a checklist and some tips. 2. Here are a checklist and some...
- english-poetry - I need some help in finding some good one stanza (4 lines) ...
- English - Read the dialogue. Then rewrite the dialogue on the lines. Add ...
- Poetry - Without knowing the context of of the poem, does this poem title stand ...
- Children's Literature Question - Which one of the following statements about ...
- English-Happiness - I'm doing a short poem on Happiness. I'm going to work on it...