Posted by Tibby on Thursday, January 24, 2008 at 4:52pm.
I am not good at these kinds of problems, so if anyone could show me how to do this, it would be great.
Currently, there are about 270 million people in the U.S. The EPA set a goal of 35% of solid waste recylced by the year 2009. The estimate is that by then, the average person in the U.S. will generate about 4.3 pounds of solid waste daily. If that goal is met, how many pounds of solid waste will ne recycled in the year 2009?
Round your answer to the NEAREST BILLION of pounds.
(Talk about a distusting topic)
Algebra 1 - drwls, Thursday, January 24, 2008 at 5:00pm
This problem almost does itself, disgusting or not. You won't get "good at these kinds of problems" unless you try.
Multiply the population by the waste produced per person. That, quite obviously, is the amount of garbage produced. Then take 35% of that as the amount that will be recycled if the goal is met. Then do the rounding off.
Algebra 1 - Ms. Sue, Thursday, January 24, 2008 at 5:10pm
First, you need to multiply 270 by 4.3 to find the total number of pounds of waste generated.
270 million * 4.3 = 1161 million pounds
Next, multiply 1,161 million by 365 days.
1,161,000,000 * 365 = 423,765,000,000
Then multiply by 0.35.
423,765,000,000 * 35 = 148,317,750,000
That rounds to 148 billion pounds.
1161 million * 0.35 = 406.35 million pounds
Algebra 1 - Ms. Sue, Thursday, January 24, 2008 at 5:20pm
Oops -- please ignore the last line. It's incorrect.
Your answer should be about 148 billion pounds.
Algebra 1 - Tibby, Thursday, January 24, 2008 at 6:03pm
Thank You both. I appreciate it. :)
Algebra 1 - Ms. Sue, Thursday, January 24, 2008 at 7:05pm
You're very welcome.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Health - 1). Which three kinds of direct pressure do you experience most often? ...
- Chemistry/English - In chemistry we are writing a paper about an inventor.. We ...
- Math - The table shows the number of people in millions who participate in 5 ...
- math - On Saturday, the fruit and juice bar was selling 30 glasses of fruit ...
- 9th Grade Algebra 1 - I need someone to tell me how to do these kinds of ...
- math - Of the 50 state in the united state, 8 states have a population of one ...
- English - Hello, everybody. We are going to talk about TV programs. What kinds ...
- Health (Ms. Sue) - 1. Choose one component of your physical fitness that you ...
- Society and Tech - The current global growth pattern adds about __________ ...
- Math - The table shows the number of people in millions who participate in five ...