Posted by John on Thursday, January 24, 2008 at 4:01pm.
could you please check my work?
what is the volume of one mole of solid iron at 25 degrees c?
1 mol Fe/.141 mol/cm^3 = 7.10 cm^3
(the .141 came from converting the density in to moles)
is that correct?
then the next step in the problem is to find the volume of 1 mol of Fe atoms assuming each atom to be spherical. the atomic radius is 0.126 nm.
so i calculated:
4/3 pi (0.126 nm)^3 = .00838 nm^3
is that correct?
thank you for your help.
ap chem - DrBob222, Thursday, January 24, 2008 at 4:10pm
I don't know how you converted density to mols/cc and 55.85/0.141 is not 7.10 BUT 55.85/7.871 = 7.095 g/cc which rounds to 7.10 g/cc and that is the correct answer.
As for the volume, after reading some of your earlier posts, especially the one about the crystal structure of iron, I wonder if the problem intended for you to go through the unit cell business.
ap chem - DrBob222, Thursday, January 24, 2008 at 4:12pm
By the way, if you are the same John that posted earlier about the boiling point of 2-propanol, I have posted a response to that at the original post. There are two or three things wrong with the way you did it although the Clausius-Clapeyron equation is the correct way to go.
ap chem - John, Thursday, January 24, 2008 at 4:14pm
well i thought that by knowing the cubic structure maybe i could work backwards but it just ended up confusing me even more.
ap chem - Anonymous, Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 12:20pm
6- chloro- 3- hexene
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - There are 20 teachers and 705 students in Corey's school. What is the ...
- Chemistry - Hello. Can I get someone to help me set up these problems? 1.) How ...
- AP CHEM - The density of iron at 25 C is 7.871 g/cm^3 what is the volume of one ...
- Chemistry e - The rusting of iron is represented by the equation 4Fe +3O2 -->...
- chemistry - Question is: If you gain your iron from an iron citrate (Fe(C6H7O7)2...
- Chem for final, please help! - How many moles of H+(aq) ions are present in 1.25...
- CHEM HELP - I asked this already but for some reason the answer I got isnt being...
- Chemistry - Bob Pursley - Posted by Sarah H on Friday, May 23, 2008 at 8:10pm. ...
- Chemistry Check Please! ?Fixed - A solution is prepared by dissolving 3.44 g of ...
- chemistry - Does one mole of copper have the same mass as one mole of iron? ...