Posted by Ricky on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 at 12:32am.
yea it sais, three times one number added to another number is 18. twice the first number minus the other number is twelve.
find the numbers
math - Quidditch, Wednesday, January 23, 2008 at 12:51am
3*x + y = 18
2*x - y = 12
You need to eliminate one of the variables and solve for the remaining one. In this problem, you can see that if the two equations are added together, the y variable is eliminated:
3x + y = 18
2x - y = 12
5x + 0y = 30
5x = 30
plug the known x value into either equation to solve for y.
taking the first one...
3*6 + y = 18
rearrange to get
y = 0
math - Ricky, Wednesday, January 23, 2008 at 12:58am
hey thx man, i messed up that one cause i though added to another number ment it goes before it
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - twice a number minus a second number is -1. twice the second number added...
- Algebra =/ - One Number Added To Three Times Another Number Is 24. Five Times ...
- Math - The sum of three numbers is 301. The second number is 3 less than twelve ...
- algebra - Twice the first number is eleven more than the sum of the other two ...
- Math - The sum of three times a first number and twice a scond number is 43. If ...
- 10th grade math - The sum of three numbers is 301. The second number is 3 less ...
- 6th grade math - Can you check these problems, please? Translate each phrase ...
- math - the sum of two number is 39 . twice the first number plus 3 times the ...
- word problems - the sum of two numbers is 38. when 8 is added to twice one of ...
- Math - WRITE THE EQUATIONS: 1) Twice a umber added to four 4 is 28 MY ANSWER: 4...