Posted by jujube on Monday, January 21, 2008 at 4:49pm.
A right rectangular tank with a 12 unit by 8 unit base is filled with water to a depth of 5 units. The water rises 1.5 units when a solid cube is completely submerged in the tank. In simplest radical form, the edge of the cube is k*cube root of w units. Find the value of k plus w.
math-need help - Damon, Monday, January 21, 2008 at 5:11pm
The volume of the cube raises the water 1.5 units
so the volume of the cube is:
1.5 * 12 * 8 units cubed
V = 144 units^3
that is the cube of the edge of the cube
144 = (k* w^1/3)^3 = k^3 w
That is all I can do with the information given.
math-need help - Damon, Monday, January 21, 2008 at 5:18pm
Oh, I see from your earlier questions that you are doing only integer answers
Well, 144 is a handy number being 12^2
2 * 2 * 3 * 2 * 2 *3
two will have to be cubed
8 * 18 is 2^3 * 18
So I think k = 2 and w = 18
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- maths - a rectangular tank 30cm×20cm×12cm contains water to a depth of 6 cm.A ...
- math - A tank, with a rectangular base and having vertical sides of height 4 m, ...
- calculus - water is being siphoned from a cylindrical tank of radius 10m into a ...
- Geometry - A tank in the form of a right rectangular prism (see figure below) ...
- Math - a rectangular tank with a square base of side 60 centimeters and a height...
- math - A tank was 3/5 filled with water. After removing 120 litres of water from...
- bctc - A tank of water in the shape of an inverted cone is being filled with ...
- solid mensuration - Find the volume of water in the horizontal tank if it is 7/...
- AP CALCULUS!!! HELPP - related rates: the base of a pyramid-shaped tank is a ...
- AP CALCULUS!! HELPPP URGENT - related rates: the base of a pyramid-shaped tank ...