Posted by Misty on Monday, January 21, 2008 at 4:47pm.
I had to place these statements in the Fallacy Types I thought they belonged in. Did I do this right or am I completely wrong here? Fallacies are confusing.Thanks Everyone
Ad hominem/genetic 7. I don’t care if she is the top psychiatrist in the state! Her theory on sibling rivalry is extreme. How can we believe anything she says if she subscribes to theories of that nature?
Wishful thinking 15. Sure, I’ve heard that it’s better to not eat cheeseburgers every day, but it’s extra protein and protein is good for you.
“Argument” from popularity 9. My friend, who goes to college in another state, said girls from that sorority are mean. That girl we just met, Tracy, is from the same sorority, so I don’t trust her.
Hasty generalizing 14. It’s disgraceful that a member of the Elks Lodge would go out to fast food restaurants every night. The Elks believe in family values, including home-cooked meals.
“Argument” from outrage 11. From one mom to another: “I can’t believe Shelia lets her kids watch that garbage! I always knew she wasn’t very strict. Now our kids will be over there watching that junk, too!”
Straw man 12. From a conspiracy theorist: “Come on, everyone knows that the government has lied to us in the past. This case isn’t any different.”
Post hoc 13. If it weren’t for the president’s environmental policy, we wouldn’t be dealing with these environmental catastrophes.
Red herring/smokescreen 3. From a study group member: “I just don’t get it. One minute she says she’s coming, and then the next, she calls to cancel. I wonder if we can trust that the articles she submitted are what we need!”
Group think 2. On a radio ad: “Have you been fatigued, irritable, moody? If these symptoms are ignored, you might become depressed or even suicidal! Ward off the blues by taking a pill proven to cheer you up. Millions of people have, and they’re glad they did!”
Scare tactics 4. You’re going out with Carron? Well, she’s a nice person, but I hear her last relationship was a wreck! I’d be careful if I were you.
Poisoning the well 8. From one politician about another: “He’s a two-faced, liberal, anti-family, anti-values idealist!”
Apple polishing 10. From a teenager confronted by his parent about breaking curfew: “Why do we have to keep harping on this curfew thing? Let’s talk about that A grade I’m getting in algebra.”
Guilt trip 6. Stomachache or not, how could you not eat your dinner after I spent all that time making it!
Perfectionist fallacy 5. About an already-attractive home interior: “I don’t know why we started this home renovation if we’re only doing two of the rooms. Either way, it won’t look right unless we redo the entire house.”
Inconsistency ad hominem 1.It takes someone with a really big heart to give to our charity, and you seem like someone who cares more than most.
- English - Ms. Sue, Monday, January 21, 2008 at 6:11pm
I believe three of your answers are correct. But please check # 9 again. It looks like that could be a faulty generalization.
- English - Anonymous, Wednesday, April 2, 2008 at 8:42pm
It takes someone with a really big heart to give to our charity, and you seem like someone who cares more than most
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- ct. - MS. Sue , Thank for your response. Can you once more check to see if I ...
- english - what is a fallacies You can always look up terminology at www.answers....
- critical thinking - The President’s agenda has been derailed by out of touch ...
- CRt 205 - CRT-205 Week 5 Fallacy Matrix Categorizing Fallacies • Categorize each...
- english - what are the two formal fallacies? My answer- fallacy of denying the ...
- Identifying Fallacies - Give example of fallacy from newspaper editorial and ...
- Logical Fallacy - Which logical fallacy is, "We don't need to change our ...
- CRT 205 - My question is that I need to choose three fallacies Ad Hominen/...
- critical thinking - Categorize each fallacy statement by copying fallacy type ...
- English - Jessie had felt sad all day. Jessie thought and thought about his ...