Posted by Caroline on Friday, January 18, 2008 at 1:57pm.
Jake has a 3 foot long peice of wood that he wants to make into a triangular frame. He cuts a peice off of the board that is 1 foot 5 inches long. From the remaining board he cuts off another peice that is 7 inches long. He now has 3 peices of wood. Will he be able to fit 3 peices together to make a triangle? Explain
- Algebra - drwls, Friday, January 18, 2008 at 3:24pm
No, he can't. Since his first cut was in the middle, making one more cut cannot make two sides that exceed the length of the longest side. To form a triangle, no side can have a length that equals or exceeds the sum of the lengths of the other two sides.
- Algebra - Reiny, Friday, January 18, 2008 at 4:56pm
drwls probably made an arithmetic error.
Jake starts with 36 inches, cuts off 17 inches, leaving 19 inches.
From that he cuts 7 inches, leaving 12
so his 3 pieces are 17, 7, and 12 inches.
The sum of any two of these exceeds the third side, so the triangle is possible. (ignoring any lengths lost due to the cuts)
- Algebra - Ehsan, Sunday, August 14, 2016 at 1:47pm
Yeah he can
bec 1foot = 12inches
so the piece of wood has 3*12 36 inch long
so the first piece = 12+5=17 inch
the second piece = 7 inch
so the last piece = 36-(7+17)=12 inch
so do the inequality of triangle (the sum of two sides must be greater than the remaining side)
to shortcut time and effort sum the smallest sides and see if the sum is greater than the biggest side
then it can be triangle
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- dma040 - 42inch board is cut into 3peices. Peice 2 is twice as long as the 1st...
- math - kevin had a board that was 5 and 1/4 feet long. while making making a ...
- algebra 2 - i have a piece of wood 72 inches long i cut it into 3 peices. the ...
- Math - Chris cuts a 3 1/2 feet long board of wood. He cuts out 4 pieces that ...
- MATH - Li-Hua wants to create a triangular fame. She has two pieces of wood, ...
- Math - Thomas needs to cut a piece of wood for a model airplane he is builing. ...
- Math - A 3-foot piece of wood is cut into two equal sections. How long is each ...
- math - Jill cuts 8 foot ribbon into pieces that are each 3/4 foot long. the ...
- math - you need 5 foot long board into pieces that are 3/4 of a foot long. How ...
- how to set up this problem - Caleb has a piece of wood that is 156 inches long. ...