Posted by Nathalie on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 10:16pm.
How many kilograms of aluminum can be extracted from 2.0 metric tons of the ore 'alumina' (Al2O3)?
- Chemistry - Nathalie, Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 10:19pm
Would you take the percentage of aluminum in the ore:
53.96/101.96 = 52.92
then take that much out of 2.0 metric tons or 2000 kg?
So would it be 1058.40 kilograms?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 10:22pm
Convert 2.0 metric tons Al2O3 to grams Al2O3.
Convert grams Al2O3 to mols Al2O3.
Convert mols Al2O3 to mols Al knowing that there are 2 mols Al for every mol Al2O3.
Convert mols Al to grams Al remembering that mols x atomic mass = grams.
Finally, convert grams Al to kg Al.
Check my thinking.
Post your work if you get stuck.
- Chemistry - Nathalie, Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 10:26pm
So.. my work wasn't right. Above your message?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 10:29pm
No, your answer is correct. I just did it the long way. You took the short route. Very good.
- Chemistry - Nathalie, Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 10:32pm
Ok thanks so much.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Cryolite, Na3AlF6(s), an ore used in the production of aluminum, can...
- College Chemistry I - A method for recycling scrap aluminum converts it to alum...
- Chemistry - A copper ore consists of 6.32% chalcopyrite, CuFeS2(s). How many ...
- math - THE MASS OF THE SUN IS ABOUT 10^27 METRIC TONS , OR 10^30 KILOGRAMS . HOW...
- chemistry - Bornite (Cu3FeS3) is a copper ore used in the production of copper. ...
- Chemistry - Bauxite ore contains aluminum oxide Al2O3(s) which is decomposed ...
- Chemistry - To extract gold from its ore, the ore is treated with sodium cyanide...
- Chemistry - To extract gold from its ore, the ore is treated with sodium ...
- chemistry - To extract gold from its ore, the ore is treated with sodium cyanide...
- Math - A steel plant has two sources of ore, source A and source B. In order to...