Posted by Dana on Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 8:34pm.
I'm doing an essay on the book The Children of Izieu. My thesis is - The lives of 44 children were unreasonably exterminated in the Holocaust.
The book is about Children who are captured by Klaus Barbie from the House of Izieu and taken to a death camp in Auschwitz.
Two of my arguments are - they were young and harmless so they shouldn't have been exterminated. And that they were exterminated in a barbaric manner. Can anyone help me come up with more arguments? Thanks!
Essay suggestions - bobpursley, Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 9:00pm
If you are arguing the children were "unreasonably exterminated", does that mean they could have been reasonably exterminated?
Your arguement-they were young and harmless- if thy were old and harmless should they have been exterminated? Or old and harmful? Secondly, if there is such a thing as exterminated in a barbaric manner, is there the contra of exterminated in a civilized (humane) manner?
My point is this: Be careful of your wording, and avoid such logical pitfalls.
I think a better thesis is focused on the loss of the innocent: It includes Modern Africa, Iraq, Pakistan, and wherever terror or inhumanity reigns. Why does God allow it? Why do we allow it?
Essay suggestions - Ms. Sue, Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 9:07pm
I agree with Bobpursley.
I've been thinking about your essay for a while -- and have a hard time accepting your mealy-mouthed thesis. The children were murdered -- not by just one crazed individual -- but by a so-called civilized nation.
Since the focus of your essay is on this book, I suggest you rewrite your thesis to make it stronger. Then concentrate on the individual children whose lives were cut pathetically short by the barbarians.
Essay suggestions - Dana, Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 9:17pm
Thank you both for your suggestions! The book, in a way, is like a memorial. Should I change my thesis to something related to the importance of remembering the holocaust?
Essay suggestions - Ms. Sue, Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 9:20pm
Yes. I think you should. That would be a good idea.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- literature for kids - Which is NOT a benefit of sharing books to young children...
- English: Children's Literature - I have to write an 8 page essay about Picture ...
- English for previous french question - It won't work for some reason. Hopefully ...
- English 9 - Hey, I made a thesis for my essay, but is it any good? Make any ...
- english 11 - Question about Nora's children in the book the A Doll's house.? 1. ...
- english - A good strong thesis statement about the children's book Corduroy by ...
- SIXTH GRADE MATH - The ratio of boys to girls at a day care cent is 5 to 4. ...
- English - 1. Each student has his / her own book. (How do you read "/"? Is it '...
- English College composition I - I need help on writing a thesis statement about ...
- French - I have to write a thesis for the book Les Enfants d'Izieu and I am ...