Posted by kaley on Sunday, January 6, 2008 at 5:21pm.
recall that the acceleartion due to earth's gravity is 32 ft/sec^2. from ground level, a projectile is fired straight upward with velocity 90 feet per second.
a. what is its velocity after 3 seconds
b. when does it hit the ground
c. when it hits the ground, what's the net distance it has traveled.
d. when it hits the ground, what is the total distance it has traveled
- math - Damon, Sunday, January 6, 2008 at 5:55pm
a) use v = Vo - gt
b ) use equation in part a to find out when v = 0. At that point the thing is as high as it will go. It will spend the same time falling so double the time you found for ascent to find out when it hits the ground.
c) LOL it came right back to where it started if you shot straight up :)
d) we know how long it took to get to the top (half of the final answer in part b)
so how far up did it go?
Y = Yo + Vo t +(1/2) a t^2
Y = 0 + 90 t - 16 t^2 where t is half the total time aloft from part b
double that answer to include the distance it fell.
- math - alyssa, Sunday, January 6, 2008 at 6:52pm
- math - Damon, Sunday, January 6, 2008 at 7:18pm
alyssa in general factor top and bottom and cancel like factors
for example 12 /16
= 2*2 *3
so it is really 3/4
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - A projectile is fired straight up from a cliff which is 200 feet above ...
- math - A projectile is fired directly upward with a muzzle velocity of 860 feet ...
- Physics - A projectile is fired straight up from a cliff which is 200 feet above...
- Aria - If a projectile is shot vertically upward from the ground with an initial...
- Intermediate Algebra - If a projectile is fired straight upward from the ground ...
- Calculus - Falling Body Problem - Near the surface of the earth, the ...
- intermediate algebra - A projectile is launched directly upward from the top of ...
- calculus - Can some explain how to do this problem? I tried using derivatives...
- math - A stone is thrown straight up from the edge of a roof, 700 feet above the...
- College Algebra - A projectile is thrown upward with an initial velocity of 272 ...