Posted by alk on Thursday, December 27, 2007 at 9:56pm.
18. Answer the following question that relate to the analysis of chemical compounds.
(a) A compound containing the elements C, H, N, and O is analyzed. When a 1.2359g sample is burned in excess oxygen, 2.241g of CO2(g) is formed. The combustion analysis also showed that the sample contained 0.048g of H.
(i) Determine the mass, in grams, of C in the 1.2359g sampleof the compound.
(ii) When the compound is analyzed for N content only, the mass percent of N is found to be 28.84%. Determine the mass, in grams, of N, in the original 1.2359g sample of the compound.
(iii) Determine the mass, in grams, of O in the original 1.2359g sample of the compound.
(iv) Determine the empirical formula of the compound.
- ap chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, December 28, 2007 at 1:03am
2.241 g CO2 x (1 mol CO2/molar mass CO2) x (atomic mass C/1 mol C) = g carbon.
1.2359 g sample x 0.2884 = g nitrogen.
1.2359 g sample - g C - g N -g H = grams O.
Convert g C to percent C.
Convert g N to percent N.
Convert g H to percent H.
Convert g O to percent O.
Take a 100 g sample which will give you the grams of C, H, O, and N equal to the percents of each.
Convert g C, H, O, and N to mols by dividing by the atomic mass of C, H, O, and N respectively.
Convert to the ratio of small whole numbers. The easiest way to do this is to divide the smallest number of mols by itself (which gives it a value of 1.000). Divide all the other mole values by the same small number, then take the ratio of those whole numbers.
Post your work if you get stuck. Check my thinking. Check my work.
- ap chemistry - alk, Friday, December 28, 2007 at 11:30am
thanks so much for your help!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - A 2.52g sample of a compound containing only carbon, hydrogen, ...
- chemistry - I got C_4 H_3 O_8 for this question but I'd like someone to check my...
- chemistry - a 2.52-g sample of a compound containing only carbon, hydrogen, ...
- College Chemistry - Suppose there are two known compounds containing the generic...
- Chemistry - A 3.000 gram sample of an unknown compound containing the elements ...
- Chemistry - A compound containing only C, H, and N yields the following data. (i...
- chemistry - a 2.500g sample of an unknown compound containing only C, H and O ...
- Chemistry - a compound was analyzed and found to contain C,H,N,O, and Cl. When o...
- chemistry - Is this correct? A 0.1471 g sample of a compound containing C, H, ...
- Chemistry - A compound containing boron and hydrogen has been synthesized. You ...