Posted by Lena on Saturday, December 15, 2007 at 5:32pm.
Im writing a diary entry for the events leading up to WWII. Could someone please edit it. I'm not sure if my information is 100% correct.
September 12th 1939
Great Britain had declared war on Germany on September 3rd subsequent to Germanyís invasion into Poland. Even though Canada was its own independent country, there was diminutive uncertainty that she would quickly follow. September 10th 1939, CBC had given word that King George the 5th had announced that Canada had also declared war. It was certainly no surprise. Although Germanyís invasion into Poland is what finally triggered this war, the accountability of the events leading up to the war, can be equally divided. Firstly, the strategy of appeasement took place when Great Britain and France granted concessions to Germany resulting in the Munich Pact. This agreement gave Hitler the Sudetenlands and control over Czechoslovakia as long as Hitler would agree to not expand further. Hitler quickly violated the terms of the agreement as the Nazis seized Czechoslovakia and a part of Poland known as Blitzkrieg. It became palpable to everyone that appeasements should never be given to tyrants. Expansionism due to the nationalistic goals of re-unification of former territories lost in WWI was not prevented by the League of Nations. After Hitler became chancellor of Germany, things started to a take a turn for the worst. Fascism began to shape the country into an anti-Semitic nation. This resulted in the mass extermination of Jewish peoples as well as Communists, Slavs, Poles, Gypsies, homosexuals and those people who were mentally challenged. We remember this atrocious time period as the Holocaust. Fascism was also practiced in other countries as well as anti-Semitism. I am sad to say that Canada was one of those many countries. Isolation, Militarism, Nationalism, Racism, and the failure of the League of Nations to enforce the Treaty of Versailles and maintain peace around the world, were several other causes of this war. Today, I enlisted in war with thousands of others. I believe that serving your nation is a great passage to manhood. I leave my family in a couple of weeks. My wife, Linda, is very proud of me, but it is hard to say goodbye to my son, Shamus. He has just learned to walk and talk, itís sad that I will have to miss all of this. But this is just a small sacrifice everyone must make in order to bring peace to the world. I would rather die an honorable death than live a dishonorable life.
- WWII - editing - Ms. Sue, Saturday, December 15, 2007 at 6:43pm
I'm in the process of editing this and should be finished within a half hour.
- WWII - editing - Lena, Saturday, December 15, 2007 at 6:49pm
Thanks so much
- WWII - editing - Ms. Sue, Saturday, December 15, 2007 at 7:21pm
You've written a good diary entry. However, I have a few suggestions below. Sorry it took me longer than expected to read this, but a phone call interrupted me.
Hitler quickly violated the terms of the agreement as the Nazis seized Czechoslovakia and a part of Poland in a military operation known as Blitzkrieg.
This resulted in the mass extermination of Jewish peoples as well as Communists, Slavs, Poles, Gypsies, homosexuals and those people who were mentally challenged. We remember this atrocious time period as the Holocaust.
We knew very little about what the Nazis were doing to the Jews, Communists, etc. in 1939. We knew they were persecuted by gangs and sometimes by the government. The mass extermination, though, hadn't started yet, and the term Holocaust wasn't used until after the war. I suggest you delete these sentences.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English Grammar - 1. I am writing up today's diary. 2. I am keeping today's ...
- WWII - The 1st group of Candians that were sent over sea to ritian were sent in ...
- social studies - There was an economic boom within one or two years after: A. ...
- economics - There was an economic boom within one of two years after: A. both ...
- WWII - Could someone tell me about the Japanese internment camps during WWII. ...
- WWII - If a soldier was to try to flee from a battle of do anything or that sort...
- WWII - What types of ships did the British and German use in WWII? U- boats = ...
- WWII - What was the airforce for the Candians called in WWII? Was it the RCA?
- WWII - I know that there is not just one answer for this question but in your ...
- WWII - Who were the Allied Powers during WWII?