Posted by Einstein on Friday, December 14, 2007 at 1:50pm.
A 65 kg dancer leaps .32 m high.
a) With what momentum does the dancer reach the ground?
b) What impulse is needed to make a stop?
c) As the dancer lands, the knees bend, lengthening the stopping time to .050 s. Find the average force exerted on the body.
d) Compare the stopping force to the performer's weight.
Thoughts: Momentum equals mass multiplied by the change in velocity. Impulse is the force multiplied by time.
Physic - drwls, Friday, December 14, 2007 at 2:06pm
a) Use energy conservation considerations to compute the takeoff velocity.
(1/2) M V^2 = M g H
V = sqrt (2gH)
The landing velocity will be the same. Multiply that V by M for the momentum
(b) Same number as (a)
(c) Force = Impluse/Time
(d) Compare (c) answer to Mg
Physic - Einstein, Friday, December 14, 2007 at 5:47pm
A) Momentum = (2.465)(65) = 160.222 kgm/s
B) 160.222 kgm/s
C) Force = 160.222/.050 = 3204.441 N
D) 3204.441/[(65)(9.8)] = 5.031
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- science - A 52.0 kg male dancer leaps 0.37 m high. (a) With what momentum does ...
- english - which sentence is the best revision? a. My niece is a ballet dancer. b...
- Statistics -- Probability - I need to calculate P(man is a ballet dancer and a ...
- algebra - Rudolph gives Dasher and Dancer as many sleigh bells as each already ...
- English - Identify the predicate adjective Katy Beth remains the best dancer in ...
- physics - A high-jumper, having just cleared the bar, lands on an air mattress ...
- physics - A person falls from a height of 2.0m on earth(a=g=9.8m/s2). What ...
- Physics - A dancer completes 3.8 revolutions in a pirouette. What is her angular...
- Physics - A dancer completes 3.4 revolutions in a pirouette. What is her angular...
- physics help please - A dancer completes 3.4 revolutions in a pirouette. What ...