Posted by Colin on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 at 10:13pm.
1) a small pipe can fill a tank in 16 min more time than it takes a large pipe to fill the same tank. Working together, both pipes can fill the tank in 6 min. How long would it take each pipe working alone to fill the tank?
2) a car travels 240 mi. a second car, travelling 12 mph faster than the first, makes the same trip in 1h less time. Find the speed of each car
3)a software manufacturer has determined that 500 copies per week of a new computer program will be sold at a price of $100. at a price of $110, the number of copies sold per week would decrease to 450. Determine a linear function that will predict the number of copies that would be sold at a price of $150
4)The financial manager of a hotel has determined that 600 rooms per night will be rented if the room rate per night is $120. For each $10 increase in price of a room, 20 fewer rooms will be rented. Determine a linear function that will predict the number of rooms that will be rented for any given price per room. use this model to predict the number of rooms that will be rented if the room rate is $150
5)a gerneral building contractor estimates that the cost to build a new house is $50,000 plus $70 for each square foot of floor space in the house. determine a linear function that will give the cost of building a house that contains a given number of square feet. use this model to determine the cost of building a house that contains 6000 feet.
Thanks for any help!
Algebra (word problems) - drwls, Wednesday, December 12, 2007 at 10:52pm
Please post your questions one at a time and show your own effort. We will guide you through the thought process but will not do your homework for you.
Algebra (word problems) - drwls, Wednesday, December 12, 2007 at 11:32pm
2) Let V be the speed of the slower car. The faster car's speed is V + 12
The times requred are 240/V and 240/(V+12) The first of these is 1 hour longer.
240/(V+12) = 240/V - 1
Solve that algebraic equation for V. Multiply each term by V(V+12) to get rid of the fractions.
240 V = 240 (V+12) - V(V+12)
240*12 = 2880 = V^2 + 12 V
That quadratic equation can be factored for two answers, dude. Take the positive root.
Algebra (word problems) - Colin, Thursday, December 13, 2007 at 12:33am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- school - A large pipe can fill a tank 10 minutes faster than it takes a smaller ...
- Math - In water refilling station, the time that a pipe takes to fill a tank is ...
- ALGEBRA - In a water refilling stationthe time that a pipe takes to fill a tank ...
- maths - A water tank can be filled up by two pipes together in 30 minutes. One ...
- akgebra - One pipe can fill a tank in 20 minutes, while another takes 30 minutes...
- Math - One pipe fills a tank in 1 hour while another pipe can fill the same tank...
- math - Filling a tank. Two pipes are connected to the same tank. Working ...
- maths - Three pipes can fill a water tank constantly.The time taken for the ...
- Algebra - one pipe can fill a tank in 90 minutes a second pipe can fill the tank...
- algebra - One pipe can fill a tank in 60 minutes and another pipe can fill it in...