Posted by Nick on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 at 8:17pm.
In the multiplication shown below, the digits have been replaced by
letters: different letters represent different digits, and the
same letters represent the same digits. What was the origianl
please help tried it many times can't get it. It is drivin me nuts.
Calculus - drwls, Wednesday, December 12, 2007 at 11:15pm
Someone recently asked and someone else answered the similar question
ABCD x 4 = DCBA
In that case there was only one answer. It took quite a bit of reasoning to come up with the answer, 2178 x 4 = 8712
In your case, it is likely that there is no answer. The longer the string of numbers, the less likely it is that there is an answer. The problem has to be done by a "cut and try" method. If you try to do it with algebra, you end up with one equation and 4 unknowns.
Calculus - Count Iblis, Thursday, December 13, 2007 at 10:02am
ABCDE x 4 = EDCBA
21978 x 4 = 87912
You just use the fact that the last digit of a multiple of 4 is even. It is not zero, because A = 0 would mean that the number ABCDE is actually a four digit number. It cannot exceed two otherwise you get a six digit number when multiplying it by four. So:
A = 2
This means that the number will be EDCBA will be larger than 80,000 so E has to be 8 or 9. But E = 9 as the first digit of ABCDE
yields A = 6, so E must be 8. You then simply work your way through the multiplication. It is straightforward to come up with the answer (i.e., if it exists as in this case).
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - In the multiplication shown below, the digits have been replaced by ...
- math - If 3 different digits represent 3 different letters and each time a ...
- 5th grade math - In the multiplication problem at the right different letters ...
- math - Each time the same letter appears it represents the same digit.Different ...
- Maths - Looks uses different letters to represent different digits and writes ...
- Computers - In Python - A state creates license plates, each containing two ...
- MATHS - In this addition each letter represents a digits. Different letters ...
- Math - A state creates license plates that each contain two letters followed by ...
- maths - In the addition problem on the right, different letters represent ...
- maths - In the equation (he)^2 = she the letters represent digits.Find ...