Posted by Christina on Sunday, December 9, 2007 at 8:44pm.
Oxygen (O2) has a molar mass of 32.0 g/mol [.032kg/mol].
What is the root-mean-square speed of an oxygen molecule at a temperature of 310 K?
What is its average translational kinetic energy at that speed?
Kav= ?? J
I am having problems with the second half, finding the Kav...
- Physics - drwls, Sunday, December 9, 2007 at 9:03pm
You can get Kav by calculating
(1/2) M [Vrms]^2.
You can also get it from the general rule
Etr,average = (3/2) kT
where k is Boltzmann's constant, 1.38*10^-23 Joule/K. It applies to all molecules.
- Physics - Christina, Sunday, December 9, 2007 at 9:11pm
Here is what I've done, hopefully you can identify where I've gone wrong..
- Physics - bobpursley, Sunday, December 9, 2007 at 9:14pm
Since when is the mass of an O2 molecule .032 kg?
You missed it by a very large factor. .032kg is aobut one ounce, which would be a very large molecule...
- Physics - Christina, Sunday, December 9, 2007 at 9:19pm
ok, that makes much more sense...
then i'm assuming that:n=2 for O2 and the m is .032 ????
- Physics - DrBob222, Sunday, December 9, 2007 at 9:36pm
The question is for ONE oxygen molecule. 0.032 kg is the mass of a MOLE of oxygen molecules.
- Physics - Christina, Sunday, December 9, 2007 at 9:39pm
I am beyond lost..I've never had any chemistry and our professor assumed that we had at least a basic knowledge...is there any way you could walk me thought this?
- Physics - DrBob222, Sunday, December 9, 2007 at 9:56pm
No, for I've forgotton what little physics I knew at one time; however, you know (from your chemistry if not physics) that 1 mol of oxygen (0.032 kg) contains 6.02 x 10^23 molecules. So how much does 1 molecule weigh? The problem is asking for 1 molecule, not 6.02 x 10^23 molecules.
Answer this Question
- physics - A 2.10 mol sample of oxygen gas is confined to a 5.10 L vessel at a ...
- REETA - A 2.10 mol sample of oxygen gas is confined to a 5.10 L vessel at a ...
- phy - (Q1)the temperature at which the tungsten filament of a 12v and 36w lamp ...
- PHYSICS - A gas cylinder contains a mixture of carbon dioxide and oxygen, which ...
- Physics - A 2.60-mol sample of oxygen gas is confined to a 5.03-L vessel at a ...
- chemistry - Is average speed (u) the same as root mean square velocity? I found ...
- Thermal Physics, Kinetic Theory of Gases - Oxygen (O2) has a molar mass of 32 g/...
- chemistry - The kinetic theory of gases is based on a number postulates from ...
- Physics - How many grams of water (H_2O) have the same number of oxygen atoms as...
- winterWx - Compute the rms speed of a nitrogen molecule at 31.0°C. At what ...