Posted by Ashley on Thursday, December 6, 2007 at 7:53pm.
is this how it is supposed to be done???
Is this the correct method? Did I get the correct answer?
- Math - Mike, Thursday, December 6, 2007 at 7:56pm
look at my new post bleow i explaned there i see were i told u wrong my bad
- Math - Emily, Thursday, December 6, 2007 at 7:57pm
I couldn't tell what you were trying to do, so I just solved it on my own. Is this sort of what you were going for?
- Math - PsyDAG, Thursday, December 6, 2007 at 8:08pm
Are there other parentheses? First combine within the parentheses, as you did with the first one. However, without other parentheses for example, it is impossible to tell if the 5x4 should be mulitplied before subtracting 6 or 5 should be multiplied after subtracting the 6 and getting -2.
In other words, without more information, I am not sure what you should do either.
I hope this helps. If not, repost with more information. Thanks for asking.
- Math - Damon, Thursday, December 6, 2007 at 8:13pm
That worked fine Emily because of the distributive property when you multiply:
5 (9 - 3) = 5*9 - 5*3
= 45 - 13
BUT order of operations really says do the inside parens first:
5 (9 - 3) = 5 (6)
- Math - Emily, Thursday, December 6, 2007 at 8:40pm
Oh yeah (oops!), so I figured the phrase Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally (parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division, and then addition and subtraction) the multiplication/division/addition/subtraction is done from right to left. I hope this solves the problem, PsyDAG.
Answer this Question
- Math - 5x6=5x4+5xb
- math - Please help me I'm stuck on this one: (5x4)-2=12+ I'll try (5x4) 20-2=12...
- Algebra - Hi this question was already asked but there is still no correct ...
- Maths integration - Please help! These 2 questions are very similar, and i tried...
- Math - 2x(5*2-3) > x(3-5)-2(x-1) the answer I have got is x > 2/18. Can ...
- derivative - I am finding the second derivative of (x^2)(y^3) = 1 2x(y^3) + (x^2...
- Algebra - I can't seem to solve this for x correctly...I got 128 over 55 as an ...
- Grammar-again - Determine if the following sentences are: a. run-on b. fragment ...
- math 156 - give the statement in each sequence of statements: a.1/0.5=2 2/0.5=4 ...
- math - I'm supposed to factor this: 3z^2-17z+24 I used the quadratic equation, ...