Posted by sam on Wednesday, December 5, 2007 at 11:59pm.
The Parkhursts used 160 yd of fencing to enclose a rectangular corral to divide it into two parts by a fence parallel to one of the shorter sides. Find the dimensions of the corral if its area is 1000 yd ^2 ( yd has a small 2 above the d)
SO CONFUSED NEED TO SHOW STEPS
- MATH problem help had typo - drwls, Thursday, December 6, 2007 at 12:09am
I answered this already
- MATH problem help had typo - Reiny, Thursday, December 6, 2007 at 12:24am
The the width be x yds
let the length be y yds
then 3x + 2y = 160
y = (160-3x)/2
area = xy
x(160-3x)/2 = 1000
160x - 3x^2 = 2000
3x^2 - 160x + 2000 = 0
(x-20)(3x - 100)= 0
x = 20 or x= 100/3
if x=20, then y = 50
if x=100/3 then y = 30
Case 1, x=20, y =50
3(20) + 2(50) = 160, area = 20*50 = 1000
Case 2 x = 100/3, y =30
3(100/3) + 2(30) = 160, area = 30*100/3 = 1000
So the dimensions could be 20 by 50, with the third side parallel to the 20
the dimensions could be 100/3 by 30 with the third side parallel to the 100/3 side.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math / Algebra Word Problem - The Parkhursts used 160 yd of fencing to enclose a...
- math help please - I had 12 of these problems got through all but the last one. ...
- cal - a rancher has 4000 feet of fencing for constructing a rectangular corral. ...
- Algebra - A rancher wishes to enclose a rectangular partitioned corral with 1932...
- College Algebra - A rancher wishes to enclose a rectangular partitioned corral ...
- Calculus - A rancher has 900 meters of fence to enclose a rectangular corral. ...
- area and perimet - Farmer Brown has 700 yards of fencing with which to build a ...
- Pre calc- confused - Geometry/Maximum area: A rancher wants to enlarge an ...
- Math - A farmer has 400 feet of fencing with which to build a rectangular corral...
- Math - Suppose that 600 meters of fencing are used to enclose a corral in the ...