Posted by Soly on Tuesday, December 4, 2007 at 10:42pm.
Can you please give me a brief explanation of Rutherfords experiment?
Physics-Rutherford - drwls, Wednesday, December 5, 2007 at 12:02am
You can find many clear and concise explanations online, using a search engine.
Here is one that I like, with some action graphics:
Physics-Rutherford - DrBob222, Wednesday, December 5, 2007 at 12:06am
I like that animation.
Physics-Rutherford - DrBob222, Wednesday, December 5, 2007 at 12:04am
Rutherford used an alpha ray (actually particle) beam to bombard very thin metal foils. Some of the alpha particles (He ions--2+ charged) were deflected a little, some more than that, and some were actually reflected at different angles. but most simply passed through the foil as if it were transparent.. The theory at the time was that of J.J. Thomson and his plum pudding model. That model had the atom consisting of a "ball" (like pudding) with electrons stuck into the pudding like plums. Rutherford was surprised that most of the particles went through undeflected--to do that meant that the atom was mostly space. The few times the alpha particles were deflected meant that most of the mass of the atom had to be concentrated in a core, which was named the nucleus AND that it had to be positively charged.
Physics-Rutherford - rouway marwane, Wednesday, September 28, 2011 at 2:28pm
the experience of rutherford
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - 1. name the three fundamental particles present in an atom? mention ...
- science - What did Rutherford's gold foil experiment give proof of?
- Science - how does changing temperature affect inland and coastal areas? Please ...
- Science Technology - Can someone give me a brief explanation to why Cameras were...
- physics - Which of the following confirms the wave nature of particles? a. ...
- chemistry - (i) Give a brief explaination of the two bonding factors which ...
- physical - give brief explanation of the origin of both football and soccer
- ACCOUNTING - List sections of the income statement and give a brief explanation ...
- Chemistry - Hexanoic acid is only slightly soluble in water but is readily ...
- computer science - This week you will determine the time complexity for a game ...