Posted by ~christina~ on Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 4:11pm.
I did a dehydration rxn with 1.424g of 4-methylcyclohexanol with .40ml 85% H3PO4 and 6 drops of concentrated H2SO4.
I have to calculate the limiting reagent even though I do suspect it to be the 4-methylcyclohexanol.
I do know the ratio is 1mol H3PO4: 3mol 4-methylcyclohexanol.
However even though I have the weight of my 4-methylcyclohexanol I have the ml of my H3PO4 I added.
.40ml 85% H3PO4
I was wondering how do I calculate how many moles I have of it. Can I just use the density to convert it or not?
I was wondering that since it isn't full strength but 85% H3PO4. Would that affect the calculations?
science(chem) - ~christina~, Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 4:35pm
I think I got it.
I looked it up online and found that concentrated H3PO4 is 85% and it is 15M so I'd have (.40ml)
which would = .006mol H3PO4 that I have.
Is this right?
science(chem) - DrBob222, Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 7:04pm
specific gravity 85% H3PO4 is 1.69.
Density = 1.69 g/mL.
mols H3PO4 = 1.69 g/mL x 0.4 mL x (85 g/100 g) x (1 mol/98 g) = 0.00586.
As you suspect, I would be VERY surprised if H3PO4 is the limiting reagent.
science(chem) - ~christina~, Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 7:30pm
Oh yep. I went on Wiki to verify the density from that site I looked up and I saw it was 1.69 which was close to 1.7 so I figured it was fine.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - what product will form from dehydration of 2-methylcyclohexanol?
- O chem - In lab we reacted 4-Methylcyclohexanol with sulfuric acid to give 4-...
- Chemistry - If you have 225 grams of Ca3(PO4)2, and 185g H3PO4; calculate which ...
- science(chem) - What is Zimmerman Reagent made of? (I know it is acidic b/c I ...
- chemistry - Aluminum reacts with sulfuric acid, which is the acid in car ...
- Chemistry - Calculate the volume of concentrated reagent required to prepare the...
- Chemistry - How much of each of the following substances would you add to water ...
- Chem Help! - Which pair of reagents will take part in a redox reaction? A ...
- organic chem - Dehydrate the following a. 2-methyl-1-propanol b. 2-...
- CHem Part 2 - Part of the SO2 that is introduced into the atmosphere by ...