Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 at 11:33pm.
x + 6 / 7 = 6x + 78 / 49
My mind is a bit rusty and I can't remember how to use this method
- How do you use the substitution method in math? - Reiny, Wednesday, November 28, 2007 at 11:43pm
The 'substitution method' is used when you have two equations in two variables.
It is only practical if one of the equations is set up so that you can easily solve for one of the variables in terms of the other.
You would then "substitute" that into the other equation.
In your case you only gave one equation.
Did you want to solve for x??
if so, then multiply each term by 49 to eliminate the fractions
49x + 42 = 294x + 78
-36 = 245x
x = -36/245
Since you did not supply any brackets to change the order of operation, that would be the correct answer the way you wrote the question.
- How do you use the substitution method in math? - th4eyw4t65hy4y, Wednesday, March 4, 2009 at 11:10pm
- How do you use the substitution method in math? - jake, Saturday, March 14, 2009 at 9:46am
2y + x = 3
4y – 3x = 1
Equation 1 looks like it would be easy to solve for x, so we take it and isolate x:
2y + x = 3
x = 3 – 2y
Now we can use this result and substitute 3 - 2y in for x in equation 2:
Now that we have y, we still need to substitute back in to get x. We could substitute back into any of the previous equations, but notice that equation 3 is already conveniently solved for x:
And so the solution is (1, 1).
As a rule, the substitution method is easier and quicker than the addition method when one of the equations is very simple and can readily be solved for one of the variables.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra 1 - bobpursey, In this problem you helped me with earlier: Solve using ...
- MATH - SYSTEMS OF EQUATIONS CAN BE SOLVED BY GRAPHING OR BY USING SUBSTITUTION ...
- math - Systems of equations can be solved by graphing or by using substitution ...
- math - SYSTEMS OF EQUATIONS CAN BE SOLVED BY GRAPHING OR BY USING SUBSTITUTION ...
- Math - 12x+4y= 22 and 3x-8y= -10 What are the coordinates of x and y? Use the ...
- algebra - use the Substitution Method. Please give it a try. y = 3x + 4 5x + 3y...
- algebra - o Systems of equations can be solved by graphing or by using ...
- Algebra - Systems of equations can be solved by graphing or by using ...
- math substitution method - use the substitution method to solve 7x+5y=-26 x=28-...
- algebra - "Systems of equations can be solved by graphing or by using ...