Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 at 8:51pm.
A father in his will left all his money to his children in the following manner:
$1000 to the first born and 1/10 of what then remains, then
$2000 to the second born and 1/10 of what remains, then
$3000 to the third born and 1/10 of what remains, and so on.
When this was done, each child had the same amount. How many children were there?
How would you solve this problem? This would be easy if it stated the total amount of money -_-
- Math - Algebra - bobpursley, Wednesday, November 28, 2007 at 9:37pm
F=1000+ 1/10 (A-1000)
S=2000 + 1/10 (9/10(a-1000) -2000)
T=3000 + 1/10 (9/10(a-1000-2000-3000)
subtract the first from the second equation.
S-F=2000-1000 + 9/100 (a-1000)-1/10(a-1000) - 200
0= 1000+a(.09 -.1) -90 +100 -200
0= 820 -.01a
Now the first kid got 1000+ 1/10 (81000) or 9,100 dollars.
Since they all got the same, the number of kids has to be 82000/9,1000 or nine kids. Of course, there was some change left over at the end.
- Math - Algebra - Anonymous, Wednesday, November 28, 2007 at 9:40pm
Could you show me a step by step on how to distribute the second child?
"S=2000 + 1/10 (9/10(a-1000) -2000) "
I don't know how to properly distribute "9/10(a-1000) -2000)"
- Math - Algebra - anonymous, Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 8:09pm
were did you get 9/10 from
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- MATH - A family has 4 children. A tree diagram or systematic list can be used ...
- math - Suppose that China’s population policy is modified so that every family ...
- sat math - At a certain hospital, 89 children were born in the month of June. If...
- English - 1. He was born in 63 BC. 2. He was born in the 63 BC. (Which one is ...
- algebra 1 - Mrs. Wilkerson noticed that her in-laws’ birth dates have an ...
- Math - In the United States, more male babies are born than female. In 2004, 2,...
- statistics - Suppose IQ scores were obtained from randomly selected twins. For ...
- babies born inthe white house[first] - Who was the first baby born to a ...
- MATH :D - Mrs. Wilkerson noticed that her in-laws’ birth dates have an unusual ...
- MATH - Mrs. Wilkerson noticed that her in-laws’ birth dates have an unusual ...