Posted by Sami on Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 5:21pm.
I know how to write elctron configurations but I am having problems with electron config. of main group ions.
Problem: Using condensed electron configurations, write reactions for the formation of the common ions of the following element: Iodine (Z=53)
Solution: I ([Kr] 5s24d105p5)+ e- arrow I- ([Kr]5s24d105p6) (same as Xe)
I have went over it many times and I don't understand what is being asked and how the answer was gotten. Please help.
Chem Please Help - DrBob222, Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 6:03pm
What do you not understand about the answer? The question asks for the formation of I^- from I and to do it with electron configuration. The reaction is
I + e ===> I^-
and the question asks for you to use the electron configuration for I and I^-. That's what the solution does. Since the questions specifically says "ions" (or is that a typo) they may also refer to the formation of I3^-
Chem Please Help - Sami, Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 6:14pm
I know the short electron config for I is 5s24d105p5....but why do I have to write e- in the first part and also isnt Xe the closest noble gas, why is Kr used instead? In the second part since did an electron become added because Iodine is -1?
Chem Please Help - DrBob222, Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 6:32pm
You add an electron to the first part because adding an electron to I is what fills the outside 5s2 5p5 to 5s2 5p8 and that makes it an I^-. Not using electron configurations would give you an equation I wrote in my first reponse such as I + e ==> I^- OR
4d10 5s2 5p5 + e ==> 4d10 5s2 5p6
AND you DON't use [Xe] in the last part because you want people to KNOW that YOU KNOW the the I neutral atom as simply added an electron to become a filled shell of 5s2 5p6. Writing [Xe] is correct with respect to the number of electrons, (both of them have the same number) but that doesn't show tha the extra electron has been added to the p shell to form 5p6 from 5p5.
Chem Please Help - Sami, Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 6:40pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry (electron config) - Write electron configurations for the following ...
- chem - Write electron configurations for the following ions, and determine which...
- science(chemistry) - Using condensed electron configurations and Lewis electron-...
- chemistry - Write electron configurations for the following ions, and determine ...
- Chem Electron Config - S2- Cu+ Sn2+ O2- A 1s22s22p63s23p63d10 B. 2s2 C. ...
- Chem. - Using condensed electron configurations, give reactions showing the ...
- physics - write out the electron configurations for each of the metallic ions: 1...
- chemistry - write out the electron configurations for each of the metallic ions...
- Chem - Using condensed electron configurations, give reactions showing the ...
- chem - Write the condensed electron configurations for the following atoms and ...