Posted by ajo on Friday, November 23, 2007 at 10:39pm.
a skater with an initial speed of 7.60m/s is gliding across the ice. air resistance is negligible. (a)the coefficient of kinetic friction between the ice and the skate blades is 0.100. find the deceleration caused by kinetic friction. (b)how far will the skater travel before coming to rest?
someone had showed me something like this:
If the kinetic friction coeffient is 0.1, the force that is opposig motion is (F = 0.1 * M g).
(a) The deceleration rate is therefore
a = F/M = 0.1 g = 0.98 m/s^2
(b) The time to come to rest, T, is given by
a T = 7.6 m/s.
Solve for T
but i don't really understand how did he get the part : a = F/M = 0.1 g = 0.98 m/s^2
can anyone please give me some hints to do it or explain it to me? THANKS A LOT!
- physics - drwls, Friday, November 23, 2007 at 11:20pm
Since Newton's second law says F = Ma, than a = F/m.
g is the acceleration of gravity, 9.8 m/s^2
I hope that explains what I wrote earlier
- questions - ajo, Friday, November 23, 2007 at 11:24pm
so what do you mean by 0.1g?
- physics - drwls, Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 12:08am
0.1 g is g/10
I got it by using the formul a = F/M
I had already shown you that F = 0.1 M g
- physics - Landon, Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 11:33pm
for b) the question is how FAR will it travel not long... so the answer is 29.4m
- physics - kent estanislao, Friday, October 4, 2013 at 11:35pm
F=ma mew(Fn) N=W
a=mew(Fn)/m mew=coefficient of friction
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- physics - a skater with an initial speed of 7.60m/s is gliding across the ice. ...
- Physics (49) - An ice skater is gliding horizontally across the ice with an ...
- Physics - An ice skater is gliding horizontally across the ice with an initial ...
- Physics - A skater with an initial speed of 7.6 m/s is gliding across the ice. ...
- homework physics 2 - An ice skater is gliding horizontally across the ice with ...
- Physics - A skater with an initial speed of 5.90 m/s stops propelling himself ...
- Physics - An ice skater of mass m is given a shove on a frozen pond. After the ...
- Physics 204 - I have a few questions. 1.The coefficient of sliding friction ...
- physics- check my answers) - An ice skater of mass 50kg moving at 10 m/s coasts ...
- physics - An ice skater is traveling in a straight, horizontal line on the ice...