Posted by Soly on Thursday, November 22, 2007 at 7:48pm.
I am not too sure about this problem. Can you please help me?
Graph the ellipse and locate the foci.
I got (- squareroot 7, 0) and (squareroot 7,0), but I was looking at one problem in one book similar to it, and it had the answer as (0, - squareroot 7) and (0, squareroot 7).
- Algebra - Reiny, Thursday, November 22, 2007 at 10:15pm
You are correct, I got the same foci
The one you looked at in your text probably had the y-axis as its major axis, that is, the focal points were on the y axis.
Was the denominator of the x^2 smaller than the denominator of the y^2 term?
If so, that was the case.
- Algebra - Soly, Thursday, November 22, 2007 at 10:20pm
The one in book, is 7x^2=35-5y^2
- Algebra - drwls, Thursday, November 22, 2007 at 10:34pm
x^2/(144/9) + y^2/(144/16) = 1
(x/4)^2 + (y/3)^2 = 1
The semimajor and semiminor axis distances are 4 and 3, respectively. The major axis lies along the x axis. The distance from the center to the foci is sqrt (4^2 - 3^2) = sqrt 7
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - I need some help figuring these. Compute each product and simplify ...
- Algebra - I need some help figuring these. Compute each product and simplify the...
- Algebra - I have a few questions that I am not too sure about, could you please ...
- Math/Algebra - Graph the ellipse and locate the foci. 16x^2 +9y^2= 144
- algebra - ^5 squareroot of x^20 *my answer x^4 ^3 squareroot of 729/343 my ...
- Algebra2 - Simplify: 1.SquareRoot(-144) 2.SquareRoot(-64x^4) 3.SquareRoot(-13)*...
- math - find the standard form of the complex number shown below 9(cos 11pi/6 + ...
- math - Classify each statement as sometimes, always, or never true. A. 2^(2/3)*4...
- math 11 review - A couple of extra practice questions I can't remember how to do...
- math homework - find a unit vector in the direction of u u = (-5, -12, 9) a. (-5...