Posted by AMANDA on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 at 8:55pm.
K=1.6x10^-5 mol/L for the following reaction
2NOCl(g).... 2 NO(g) + Cl2(g)
Calculate the concentrations of all species at equilibrium for each of the following original mixtures
E) 2.4 mol of NOCl, 2.4 mol of NO, and 1.2 mol Cl2 in a 1.0 L flask
F)1.9 mol/L concentration of all three gases
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, November 20, 2007 at 9:14pm
In order to try and get this spacing right, I will write the equation from top to bottom instead of horizontally.
1st are the equatios. Next column is starting molarityies (mols/L). Third column is change. Fourth column is final concentration. This is just an ICE chart.
2NOCl(g) 2.4 +2x 2.4+2x
2NO(g) 2.4 -2x 2.4-2x
Cl2(g) 1.2 -x 1.2-x
You know the reaction will shift to the left BECAUSE Q = (NOCl)^2/(NO)^2*(Cl2) = (2.4)^2/(2.4)^2*(1.2) = 1.2 and that is larger than Keq listed in the problem which means Q is too large and it will sift to the left to reach equilibrium.
The columns indicate changes taking place.
Now substitute all of that (the last column) into Keq expression and solve for x.
Keq = 1.6 x 10^-5 = (NOCl)^2/(NO)^2*(Cl2)^2.
post your work if you get stuck.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chem 12 - consider the following equilibrium 2NOCl(g)--- 2 NO(g) + Cl2(g) ...
- SCIENCE - At 35°C, K = 1.6 10-5 mol/L for the following reaction. 2 NOCl(g) 2 NO...
- Chemistry - Consider the equilibrium 2NOCl (g) <---> 2NO (g) + Cl2 (g). In...
- Chem II - 2.5 mol NOCl(g) was placed in a 2.50 L reaction vessel at 400 degrees ...
- CHEMISTRY - When NO(g) (0.06623 mol/L) and 422.6 grams of Cl2(g) in a 180.0 L ...
- chemistry - I keep getting the wrong answer for this one can someone help. The ...
- chemistry - 2NO (g) + Cl2 (g) <=> 2NOCl (g) (reversible) equilibrium ...
- Chemistry - Consider the equilibrium 2NO (g) <---> 2NO (g) + Cl2 (g). In a...
- chemistry - At 35°C, Kc = 1.6 X 10-5 M for the reaction 2NOCI(g) 2NO(g) + Cl2 (g...
- Chemistry - At 35 degrees Celcius, K = 1.6x10^-5 for the reaction: 2NOCl<--&...