Posted by Raj on Sunday, November 18, 2007 at 12:29am.
Stelco has been recently legislated to reduce total SO2 emissions from iron smelting operations. Select the most effective chemical reagent to desulfurize Stelco’s gas emissions as a strategy to minimize the environmental impact of acid rain in eastern Canada and why?
CCl4, H2CO3, HCl, ClOH, or Ca(OH)2
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, November 18, 2007 at 12:40am
Read the first paragraph to get acquainted. The answer is in paragraph 2.
- Chemistry - Raj, Sunday, November 18, 2007 at 1:46am
Do I have to make equations and see which one forms a precipitate again?
I don't think its H2CO3 or HCl because that would not minimize the effect of acid rain. So its either the 2 bases or CCl4.
CCl4 + SO2 ==> CO2 + SCl4
ClOH + SO2 ==> CO2 + SOH
Ca(OH)2 + SO2 ==> CaO + S(OH)2
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, November 18, 2007 at 1:05pm
CCl4 is an organic solvent, not likely to react with SO2 under most circumstances. ClOH is just another way of writing HClO which is a weak acid. Didn't paragraph two of the article I linked you to say something about alkali or lime solutions being the primary ingredient of the scrubbers. Isn't Ca(OH)2 lime? And I don't see anything in your question about writing equations. If your prof wants one write one. However, what you have for Ca(OH)2 + SO2 is almost facetious. BUT, I owe you an apology for when I went back to my earlier response, there was no link there. Either I didn't leave one or it failed to post; in any event, there was no paragraph two there so I didn't give you much information at all. Here is the link. CaSO3 and CaSO4 are the products when SO2 reacts with Ca(OH)2.
(Broken Link Removed)
- Chemistry - A.A, Saturday, November 1, 2008 at 2:45am
If the options given were:
would it be HCl or CaO?
Answer this Question
- chemistry - you are hired as an environmental consultant at Stelco Inc., one of ...
- chemistry - Stelco has been recently legislated to reduce total SO2 emissions ...
- Chemistry - Stelco has been recently legislated to reduce total SO2 emissions ...
- Chemistry - I looked and could not find anything on iron smelting? Could you ...
- SCIENCE - 1. An environmental engineer might (1 point) Create mathematical ...
- chemistry - is motor oil a homogeneous mixture or a compound? why? is iron ...
- Environmental Science - 1. How are carbon emissions related to the carbon that ...
- Statistics - The makers of the MAGNETIZER Engine Energizer System (EES) claim ...
- Statistics help please!!! - The makers of the MAGNETIZER Engine Energizer System...
- Science - What factors might cause my contribution of carbon dioxide emissions ...