Posted by julie on Monday, November 12, 2007 at 3:43am.
I have a list of people where i have to separate them into scientists and engineers and i have one doubt.
is thomas alva edison an engineer or scientist.
i know he invented light bulb and phonograph.
but i was doing a research and he was known as a scientist.
i thought people who invent things are known as engineers. is edison called a scientist because he discovered the light bulb first?
- thomas alva edison - SraJMcGin, Monday, November 12, 2007 at 4:14am
Thank you for using the Jiskha Homework Help Forum . He is known as a scientist.
The dictionary says:
Main Entry: sci·en·tist
Etymology: Latin scientia
1 : a person learned in science and especially natural science : a scientific investigator
Main Entry: en·gi·neer
Etymology: alter. of earlier enginer, from Middle English, alteration of enginour, from Middle French engigneur, from Old French engignier to contrive, from engin
Date: 14th century
1 : a member of a military group devoted to engineering work
2 : obsolete : a crafty schemer : PLOTTER
3 a : a designer or builder of engines b : a person who is trained in or follows as a profession a branch of engineering c : a person who carries through an enterprise by skillful or artful contrivance
4 : a person who runs or supervises an engine or an apparatus
- thomas alva edison - drwls, Monday, November 12, 2007 at 8:04am
Some engineers are referred to as applied scientists. Edison would fall into that category. He did not have an advanced degree or much formal training in the sciences, but was able to grasp and quickly apply new scientific knowledge to inventions.
- thomas alva edison - julie, Monday, November 12, 2007 at 2:34pm
thanks for ur opinions
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Social Studies - Which of the following nineteenth-century inventors is ...
- history - what did thomas alva edison invent?
- Science - Who and when was the electric light bulb invented? 1879 by Thomas ...
- grammar check - which is a compound subject? 1) my sister and i saw a dinosaur ...
- am history - Which of the following nineteenth -century inventors is associated...
- History pls help - Which of the following nineteenth-century inventors is ...
- social studies - Which of the following nineteenth-century inventors is ...
- american history - Which of the following nineteenth-century inventors is ...
- math - Ten face-down cards spell the word "phonograph" one of Thomas Edison's ...
- College Algebra - The year he turned 18, Thomas Edison invested 0.8% compounded ...