Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, November 6, 2007 at 5:59pm.
How would you work this problem?
The odometer of the family car read 15951 when the driver noticed that the number was palindromic. "Curious," said the driver. "It will be a long time before that happens again." But two hours later, the odometer showed a new palindromic number. How fast was the car traveling in those two hours?
- Math - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, November 6, 2007 at 6:08pm
A palindromic number or word reads the same forward and backward.
Cars travel an average of 40 to 70 miles per hour. In two hours the car probably traveled between 80 and 140 miles.
Which digits can you change in 15951 to give a palindrome representing 80 to 140 miles?
What is that in mph?
If you post your answer, we'll be glad to check it.
- Math - Anonymous, Tuesday, November 6, 2007 at 7:31pm
I have no clue!
- Math - Anonymous, Tuesday, November 6, 2007 at 7:33pm
- Math - Old Lady, Tuesday, November 6, 2007 at 8:02pm
You have to consider that 25952 is not reasonable. A car could not travel 5,000 miles in 1 hr (10000/2). Not even a jet engine could travel that fast.
Why not try using EXCEL to create a table at various speeds and observe what you come up with.
- Math - anshul, Monday, October 20, 2008 at 3:03pm
- jpzea uhmqg - jpzea uhmqg, Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 2:16am
jfngp geflqa bjxzdqnf zqdnxs mocdrw evzjclpy johxm
- Math - Paul, Monday, September 23, 2013 at 12:48am
The next palindromic number would be
16061 so subtract 15951 from that then divide by the 2 hours
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - A car is moving at 90 km/h when the driver notices an animal that is ...
- Math - The odometer on a car shows 26962 km. Notice that this number is a ...
- Physics - A car is traveling at 50km/h. The driver sees a child run out into ...
- physics - The speed limit in a school zone is 40.0 km/hr. A driver traveling at ...
- physics - A car is behind a truck going 23.0 m/s on the highway. The driver ...
- Physics Help Please!!!! - Human reaction times are worsened by alcohol. How much...
- physics - a power = work/time question. A broken car is being pushed to a garage...
- physics - A test car with a dummy driver of mass 60 kg was propelled towards a ...
- physics - Two cars are traveling along a straight line in the same direction, ...
- Physics - Problem 4- Speedy car, driving at 30 m/s. The driver suddenly ...