Posted by ~christina~ on Sunday, November 4, 2007 at 4:40pm.
How would I make a 5% solution of sodium bisulfite?
sodium bisulfite: NaHSO3
Molar mass: 104.06 g/mol
is it 5% w/w
b/c if it was w/w then it would be
weight percent w/w= weight solute/ weight solution* 100
I need help on this
- science(chem) - DrBob222, Sunday, November 4, 2007 at 4:47pm
I have been told several times that it means w/w if w/w or w/v is not specified (you don't mean v/v because NaHSO3 is a solid). However, for your purposes, I doubt if it makes that much difference.
- science(chem) - ~christina~, Sunday, November 4, 2007 at 4:47pm
Is it 5g of the sodium bisulfite mixed with 100ml of solvent?
- science(chem) - DrBob222, Sunday, November 4, 2007 at 4:56pm
No, w/w is 5 g NaHSO3 + 95 g solvent for 100 g solution.
- life science - nicole, Sunday, November 4, 2007 at 10:35pm
need help on cell cycle
- science(chem) - ~christina~, Sunday, November 4, 2007 at 5:01pm
but why does the Fundamentals of Analytical Chemistry book state on the w/w page that a "70% solution, which means the reagent contains 70g of HNO3 per 100g of solution" ?
- science(chem) - DrBob222, Sunday, November 4, 2007 at 5:09pm
I'm not looking at that page; however, look at it this way.
70% solution means that if we take 100 g of solution, 70% (or 70 g will be the solute and 30 g is the solvent to make 100 g of solution. And that is consistent with making a 70% solution of something, w/w.
To make a 70% w/w solution, we take 70 g solute, add 30 g solvent, to make 100 g solution. In your example and my example,we have 100 g of solution.
- science(chem) - ~christina~, Sunday, November 4, 2007 at 5:21pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chem - How would I make a 0.25M solution of sodium bisulfite?
- ap chem - a solution is prepared by dissolving 4.87 g of sodium dichromate in 25...
- organic chemistry - what is mechanism for triphenylmethanol with hydroiodic acid...
- Chemistry - What is the balanced ionic equation between bromine and sodium ...
- organic chemistry - What is the product of reaction of triphenylmethanol heated ...
- science(chem) Dr.Bob-> need help on this long lab - For 1 part of the lab I: ...
- Organic chemistry - 1. In in experiment, sodium bisulfite solution is added at ...
- chem 1 - if 58.44 g of sodium chloride is dissolved in 0.5 liter of water what ...
- Chemistry - The concentration of a certain sodium hydroxide solution was ...
- Chemistry - Please read to the bottom - This help was wonderful and absolutely ...