Posted by K on Sunday, November 4, 2007 at 2:02pm.
The electron from a hydrogen atom drops from an excited state into the ground state. When an electron drops into a lower-energy orbital, energy is released in the form of electromagnetic radiation.
Part A: How much energy does the electron have initially in the n=4 excited state?
answer I got = -1.36*10^-19 J
Part B: If the electron from Part A now drops to the ground state, how much energy is released?
Enter your answer numerically in joules.
answer= delta E= _____J
what equation should I use for to answer Part B & how do I plug in to get the correct answer?
- CHEM - DrBob222, Sunday, November 4, 2007 at 2:12pm
How did you get the energy for N = 4? Use the same equation but plug in 1 for N = 1 (that's the ground state). Now subtract the energy in the two states to get the amount (the difference) relesed when the electron falls from n = 4 to n = 1.
- CHEM - K, Sunday, November 4, 2007 at 2:22pm
I used: E = -(Rhc)/n^2
R= 1.097*10^7 m^-1
h= 6.6261*10^-34 J s
c= 3.00*10^8 m s^-1
E= -1.36*10^-19 J
so I just use final minus initial? How so?
when I do the same as above...but put in 1squared=1, rather than 4squared=16..
I get: -2.18064951*10^-18
then should the answer be: -2.18065*10^-18 - -1.36*10^-19? = -2.04*10^-18??
- CHEM - K, Sunday, November 4, 2007 at 2:26pm
guess it was correct... the real answer, rounded though, came to be: -2.05*10^-18J
- CHEM - DrBob222, Sunday, November 4, 2007 at 2:31pm
Using 2.180 x 10^-18 I found 2.044 x 10^-18 J for the difference in energy levels.
- CHEM - john, Thursday, April 3, 2008 at 3:14pm
A microwave oven operates at 2.40 . What is the wavelength of the radiation produced by this appliance?
- CHEM - Rita, Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 9:02pm
.125m or 125000000nm
- CHEM - Ramiz Alda, Sunday, November 22, 2009 at 2:42pm
Energy is an absolute value, the answer should be 2.05*10^-18J, instead of -2.05*10^-18J.
- CHEM - sam, Monday, October 25, 2010 at 5:34pm
What is the wavelength lambda of the photon that has been released in Part B?
- CHEM - ZAR, Wednesday, December 8, 2010 at 10:22am
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - The electron from a hydrogen atom drops from an excited state into ...
- Chemistry - An electron is excited from the n=1 ground state to the n=3 state in...
- Chemistry - A hydrogen atom electron in an excited state with n = 7 drops to a ...
- Physics - Please help me answer the question below and also show equations and ...
- physics - Please help me answer the question below and also show equations and ...
- physics - You are shining ultraviolet light on a gas of an unknown element. You ...
- Physics - A hydrogen atom is in its third excited state (n=4). Using Bohr theory...
- physics - Hydrogen atom is initially in the ground state. It is excited by a ...
- physics - A monochromatic light beam with energy 204eV is used to excite the Be...
- Physics - A hydrogen atom in an excited state emits a Balmer beta photon ...