Posted by Mary on Friday, November 2, 2007 at 4:54pm.
I need a function rule for the following:
Algebra - drwls, Friday, November 2, 2007 at 6:41pm
Well, it's not a straight line, since the change is y is not proportional the change in x. You could fit a very large number of functions to those threee points, but the simplest would be a parabola of the form
y = ax^2 + bx + c
You can use your three data points to solve for a, b and c.
-2 = 4a - 2b + c
1 = c
2 = a + 4b + c
This tells you right away what c is, so now you can solve for a and b
Algebra - drwls, Saturday, November 3, 2007 at 1:10am
I know what you are asking for. A function of the form y = mx + b won't fit all three points. That is why I chose a quadratic fucntion. Try completing what I started
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - I need a function rule for the following: X Y -2 -2 0 1 1 3
- Math (Calculus) - Hello, Could somebody please help me with the following ...
- Math I need help ASAP! - 1) Identify the function rule shown in the table. ...
- Calc - I'm creating a "calculu for dummies" project book. I've already done most...
- ALGEBRA 2 - Find the function rule for g(x). The function f(x) = x2 . The graph ...
- Algebra - I need help finding a function rule. X Y -4 -3 -2 0 0 3
- Algebra - Which is NOT true about the following table. X. 1, 2, 3, 4 Y 1, 4, 9, ...
- math - I have the same project as Jill down there... -What is the definition of ...
- Math ~ Check Answers ~ - Explain how to write a function rule from the table ...
- algebra - Can I get help with the following question: Write a function rule for ...