Posted by Tammy on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 at 8:23pm.
A bike wheel rotates uniformly through 2 revolutions in 3 seconds.
a) what is the period of the wheel's rotation?
b) what is the frequency of the wheel's rotation? (in Hertz)
c) what is the angular speed of the wheel(provide answer in degrees, radians and revolutions)
How would I figure out part c? also did I do a) and b) correctly?
- Physics - bobpursley, Wednesday, October 31, 2007 at 8:30pm
part c: doesn't it rotate 2Pi in one period?
a: How did you get it 3 rev per 2 seconds? that is not given.
B, of course is wrong because of period is wrong.
- Physics - Tammy, Wednesday, October 31, 2007 at 8:58pm
Well isn't T = to the time of one revolution? So I took 3rev/2s to get 1.5s
- Physics - bobpursley, Thursday, November 1, 2007 at 8:14am
Tammmy. IT did not complete 3 revolutions. Reread the problem.
- Physics - Mak, Saturday, October 27, 2012 at 1:58pm
Bob is right, it did not complete 3 revolutions, but the answer for a) is still correct, for the wrong reason.
Wheel completes 2 revolutions in 3 seconds. Period is amt of time to complete 1 revolution. Think of it as a distance problem.
Distance (# of revolutions) = Rate (revolutions/second) * Time (seconds)
So 1 revolution = (2 revolutions per 3 seconds) * Time
Time = (1 rev)/(2 revs/3 seconds) = 3/2 seconds, or 1.5 seconds
For part C, just divide the distance around the circle by the period 1.5s
i) 360 degrees/1.5 sec = 240 degrees/sec
ii) 2pi radians/1.5 sec = (4/3)pi rad/sec
iii) 1 revolution/1.5 sec = 2/3 rev/sec
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - A wheel of arduous 30 cm is rotating at a rate of 2.0 revolutions ...
- Physics - A 6 kg grinding wheel of radius 0.2 m rotates at a constant rotational...
- hyui - a wheel of radius 50 centimeters accelerates uniformly from a frequency ...
- Science - A 6 kg grinding wheel of radius 0.2 m rotates at a constant rotational...
- physics-distance - Here's a stationary bike. If you pedal such that the front ...
- Physics - An automobile with 0.80-m diameter wheel starts from rest and ...
- physics - A space station, in the form of a wheel 110 m in diameter, rotates to ...
- physics - A string is wound is tightly around a wheel. When the end of the ...
- Trigonometry - Two wheels are rotating in such a way that the rotation of the ...
- physics - A wheel rotates without friction about a stationary horizontal axis at...