Posted by Alan on Monday, October 29, 2007 at 5:02pm.
A train left Podunk and traveled north at 75 Km/h. Two hours later, another train left Podunk and traveled in the same direction at 100 km/h. How many hours had the first train traveled when the second train overtook it?
- Algebra II - Ms. Sue, Monday, October 29, 2007 at 5:14pm
You can solve it algebraically or you can set up a chart:
1 hr: 75 mi
2 hr: 150 mi
3 hr: 225 mi
-- Continue this chart
1 hr: 100 mi
2 hr: 200 mi
3 hr: 300 mi
-- Continue this chart.
Compare the charts to see when they've both traveled the same distance, but the second train reached it in two hours less.
- Algebra II - DrBob222, Monday, October 29, 2007 at 5:18pm
distance = rate x time
A train rate = 75 km/hr
B train rate = 100 km/hr
distance traveled by A train =
75 x (t+2 hrs)
distance traveled by B train =
100 x t
Distance is the same so set them equal to each other.
75(t+2) = 100t
solve for t = time.
- Algebra II - nicole, Friday, March 30, 2012 at 2:21pm
Use the matrix method to solve:
x + 4y = 8
2x + y = 9
x = a0
y = a1
- Algebra l - sam pucket, Tuesday, October 7, 2014 at 10:21pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - A train left Podunk and traveled north at 75km/h. Two hours later, ...
- math - a train left podunk and traveled north at 75 km/h. two hours later, ...
- math - A train left Podunk and traveled west at 70 km/h. Two hours later, ...
- math - a train left podunk and traveled west 70 km/h. two hours later, another ...
- math - One train left the station and traveled toward its destination at a speed...
- Math - A cattle train left Miami and traveled toward New York. 14 hours later a ...
- Algebra-help - 12. A train traveled at a constant speed for 6 hours. The train ...
- Algebra Grade 7 - You took a train trip to visit your cousin. By 10:15 the train...
- Math - Train A and train B leave station going in opposite directions. Train B ...
- algebra - Train A leaves a station traveling at 80km/h. Two hours later, train B...