Posted by Elle on Saturday, October 27, 2007 at 7:51pm.
The cable of an elevator of mass M = 1020 kg snaps when the elevator is at rest at one of the floors of a skyscraper. At this point the elevator is a distance d = 18.4 m above a cushioning spring whose spring constant is k = 6500 N/m. A safety device clamps the elevator against the guide rails so that a constant frictional force of f = 6678 N opposes the motion of the elevator. Find the maximum distance by which the cushioning spring will be compressed.
This is what I did but the answer was wrong!:
Wtotal = (mg- f) 18.4m
Wtotal = 1/2 kx^2
- Physics - Quidditch, Saturday, October 27, 2007 at 7:59pm
Your approach looks OK.
Check for any errors in copying the problem or any math errors.
- Physics - Elle, Saturday, October 27, 2007 at 8:14pm
Wtotal = [(1020)(9.8)-6678] 18.4
61051.2J = 1/2 (6500)x^2
x = 4.33m
STill wrong :( Help
- Physics - Quidditch, Saturday, October 27, 2007 at 8:59pm
The displacement of the safety spring has to be considered in the total potential energy of the elevator car.
- Physics - Elle, Saturday, October 27, 2007 at 9:29pm
Um are you saying
Wtotal = [(1020)(9.8)-6678] (18.4+x) ?..
In that case, I did the quadratic and got x=17.33m, but still wrong answer :( argg
- Physics - Quidditch, Saturday, October 27, 2007 at 10:46pm
For the roots of the quadratic I got
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - The cable of an elevator of mass M = 1020 kg snaps when the elevator ...
- Physics Help.. - The cable of an elevator of mass M = 1900 kg snaps when the ...
- physics - The cable of an elevator of mass = 5320 kg snaps when the elevator is ...
- PHYSICS - WORKER ARE LOADING EQUIPMENT INTO A FREIGHT ELEVATOR AT THE TOP FLOOR ...
- Physics - An elevator manufacturing company is stress-testing a new elevator in ...
- Physics - An elevator's cable is cut causing the elevator to slide down thhe ...
- Physics - Safety engineers estimate that an elevator can hold 20 persons of 65 ...
- Physics - A cable lifts a 1370 kg elevator at a constant velocity for a distance...
- Physics - While an elevator of mass 2681 kg moves upward, the tension in the ...
- physics - - A 1600-KG ELEVATOR accelerates downward at 2.00 m/s2 starting from ...