Posted by Anonymous on Friday, October 26, 2007 at 12:14am.
An automobile computer gives a digital readout of fuel consumption in gallons per hous. During a trip, a passenger recorded the fuel consumption every 5 minutes for a full hour of travel.
time: 0 / gal/h: 2.5
time: 5 / gal/h: 2.4
time: 10 / gal/h: 2.3
time: 15 / gal/h: 2.4
time: 20 / gal/h: 2.4
time: 25 / gal/h: 2.5
time: 30 / gal/h: 2.6
time: 35 / gal/h: 2.5
time: 40 / gal/h: 2.4
time: 45 / gal/h: 2.3
time: 50 / gal/h: 2.4
time: 55 / gal/h: 2.4
time: 60 / gal/h: 2.3
(a) Use the Trapezoidal Rule to approximate the total fuel consumption during the hour.
(b) If the automobile covered 60 miles in the hour, what was its fuel efficiency (in miles per gallon) for that portion of that trip.
Answer: (a) 2.42 gal (b)24.83mpg
- calculus - drwls, Friday, October 26, 2007 at 1:47am
a)The trapezoidal rule is a way of doing numberical integration. Add up the middle 11 gal/h entires and add hlad of the first and last entries; then multiply by the time interval between entries, 0.0833 hours.
b) Divide 60 miles by the 2.42 gallons consumed. You should show only three significant figures
- calculus - Anonymous, Friday, October 26, 2007 at 2:21am
what do you mean add "hlad"?
- calculus - drwls, Friday, October 26, 2007 at 2:27am
Sorry about the typo. That word should be "half"
- calculus - fool, Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 8:14pm
I need a better more indepth answer
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - The fuel consumption (gallons per hour) of a car traveling at a speed...
- Algebra 2 - A boat has a 10 gallon gasoline tank and travels at 20mi/hr with a ...
- Chemistry - The US fuel consumption for a car with a fuel-tank capacity of 65.0L...
- Calculus - A steamship sails upriver from A to B against a current of three km/h...
- Chemistry 101 - The mileage for a motorcycle with a fuel tank capacity of 22 ...
- Physics - You and your friends are organizing a trip to Europe. Your plan is to ...
- Algebra - 1.A motorcycle has a reserved fuel of 0.5 liter which can be used if ...
- Math - A bus driver filled up 7/8 fuel tank for a trip. She used 6/7 of the fuel...
- Math - Could someone answer this question so I understand it. The answer is 28.0...
- math - A family has two cars. The first car has a fuel efficiency of 30 miles ...